Weather change needed,big time !

WOODIE13

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you are targeting Geese when it gets real cold, sleep in and hunt then in the afternoon. they typically fly and feed much better in the afternoons when it gets real cold.

Same can be said for ducks, sleep in, punch a hole, wait until 930 or 10, once it gets above 15 degrees, it's on

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you are targeting Geese when it gets real cold, sleep in and hunt then in the afternoon. they typically fly and feed much better in the afternoons when it gets real cold.

It’s been the same pattern since mid December if going to fields at all it’s winter wheat. And no multiple days in the same field been a very strange season.

bird junkie

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Same can be said for ducks, sleep in, punch a hole, wait until 930 or 10, once it gets above 15 degrees, it's on

Never had a problem with ducks flying in the cold. Geese are another story but what I am seeing with the geese it isn’t cold related behavior. They just are not flying. I haven’t set a field rig yet and I scout almost everyday for an active feed.

WOODIE13

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Did alright after it warmed up today
20220121_154131.jpg

seascritch

Reaction score
Goose hunted in morning today and were expecting them to fly early cause cold and no full-on with storm last night but didn't fly till after 10. Got our one a piece. Hunted duck hole in pm, and they were flying at 130. Most birds I've ever seen there. Jumped 50 plus. Mallards widgeon teal and woodies. Action almost non stop early afternoon then slowed way down just short of 4. Picked up at 5 and of course couple groups of ducks were trying to pitch. Had 3 geese pitch but hsd to pass though could have easily gotten away with it. Several other big gangs of geese gave us looks. Most ducks I've ever seen in this spot I've been hunting 5 years or so. Never pulled trigger cause when they came back pitched in diff part of creek. But have a plan for sun morning. Rest dsy tmrw. Long cold day but VERY fun and super excited about Sunday. We didn't queen any ducks aside from busting them out of there and should be thatany or even more come Sunday. Just worried about ice. Was forming over our feet this evening. On a side note, a very good spot upriver on rapp, has been very slow last 3 days. They usually slay em. Go figure. Kill em up boys. There are some around, just gotta find em.