Weatherby SA 08 20 ga.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Ratdaddy, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Ratdaddy

Ratdaddy Senior Refuge Member

Ok, I had a bit of a problem with the Weatherby 20 ga. the other day. I was cleaning the gun after a wet hunt and was attempting to remove the modified choke tube from the barrel and it was VERY difficult to break free. When it broke free it turned but not easily. When it got to the end of the threads the choke would not come out. I had to turn it with the wrench and pull on the tube at the same time to get it out.

Once out I cleaned the tube and the barrel with a rag and some oil. Neither was rusty and neither was very dirty since I had removed the tube a month or so ago for cleaning and have only shot about 4 boxes through the gun since.

I tried to put the tube back in and it is snug. I could get it to go but chose not to. So I tried the other tubes I have and they went in easily. The tube is obviously bulged but why?

Anyone had this happen?

Is it a faulty tube? Soft maybe? Or choked tighter than marked so the steel loads hammered it out?

Is the barrel inside diameter possibly machined oversize?

[​IMG]

It's the one on the left. See how the mid section is bright with no bluing. High points of the threads towards the middle of the choke tube seem slightly flattened as well.

There is no galling on the threads of either the barrel or the tube.

I contacted weatherby and after only a short explanation they are sending me another choke tube free of charge. Hopefully that fixes the problem. They were great to deal with. One of the reasons I chose the gun was all of the positive feedback on customer service.

Bill

Squaller likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

It happens. Had it happen with my Baikal and a Carlson Choke (Mod)(20ga) They also replaced the choke.
    No explanation as to what causes it. I am guessing just a weak choke tube. Gun threads were fine.

3. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Had this same thing Happen with my Super Vinci. The choke tube bulged but not the barrel. I knew something was wrong when I shot at a goose on the water and the pattern was a lot wider than normal. For the fix, I bought a new choke tube as that choke tube was five years old.

I shot nine rounds of Dead coyote through that choke
    and then notice the bulge after shooting my normal steel shell. The gun smith says it was from shooting steel and not the Hevi shot deed coyote.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  4. Ratdaddy

So I have the new modified choke in the gun and have shot about 2 boxes of rio blue steel 1 oz. Load of 3 shot through it and it too is stuck.

I am a machinist by trade so I took the chokes ( the original modified that was stuck and the full and IC ) to work to measure them and the choke is bulged by about .005" in the center section. So probably about where the forcing cone starts to choke the shot. I didnt bring the barrel to measure but I will now.

So I was wondering if anyone knows what the fit tolerance is in a given choke system? In other words is the barrel inside diameter supposed to be .005" larger than the choke outside diameter? Or is it .010 or .003?

Seems to me that if the fit were tighter it would be more likely to stick and if larger it would be more likely to dangerously crack or stick all while effecting the actual amount of construction of the given tube.

If the tolerance is correct on this gun then the tubes provided by Weatherby are not of sufficient hardness to avoid swelling. At least not with the shells I am shooting?

Opinions and facts of choke tube systems appreciated....

Bill

5. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

What has happened is called choke creep ( swelling ) if the shot bridges this will happen every time, best thing you can do is use extended choke

6. Ratdaddy

Thanks 43x. I will look into getting a new choke.

I was hoping to avoid it as the factory mod. Choke was patterning well. Not about the money as that's a small price in the overall scheme of things. Just hoping to avoid it that's all.

I wondered if this was the problem but figured with 3 shot I was fine. I thought bridging was only a problem with larger shot.

7. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

Ratdaddy. , call George Trulock ( nice guy ) he will answer all your question
    1-800-293-9402

Ratdaddy likes this.
  8. Bigshootss

Bigshootss Senior Refuge Member

Weatherby would probably warranty it, maybe give them a call or email.

ronaldo and Ratdaddy like this.
  9. Bigshootss

Bigshootss Senior Refuge Member

Have you tried to contact them? I am interested in your result, I own 3 SA-08’s in 20 gauge. What was their response?

10. Ratdaddy

I contacted them after the first one and they were great about it. They sent me a new choke right away.

I have not contacted them again. However in my first contact with them the customer service guys seemed surprised at my problem and hadn't heard of others with the same issue. He said shoot the new one and if there is still a problem they will need to look at the barrel and go from there. I will send it in after duck season as the new choke has done the same albeit not as stuck or swollen as the first. Most have told me to get an extended aftermarket choke as they have had similar problems with internal chokes in some guns. I didnt expect problems with the shot sizes I use (3s and 4s) so I posted here for answers while also calling weatherby.

I hope nobody uses this post as a reflection on this great little gun or more importantly the willingness of Weatherby to stand behind it.

From my conversation with them I have pretty good reason to believe they will stand behind it fully without question. But will be sure to post here the results.

Bill