California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Wednesday fun

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Spent last night at the refuge in my nice, comfy cargo trailer, which I am MUCH preferring to the back of my pickup. When I hit the sack around 9 PM there was a nice cloud cover and I was really hoping it would hang in there all night and through the day, but when I woke up at 1 AM to pee the clouds had receded and there was a nasty, bright full moon. Figures, great, I get to stare into the sun all day. However, when I woke up at 4:45 the clouds looked like they were building back in, and that got two thumbs up, AND it wasn't raining, which also got two thumbs up.

I made it out to the blind with only having to stop once to carve the mud off my cart tires, set the decoys, settled in and poured a cup of coffee. I had no idea what to expect, but I fugued with the recent cold weather there would probably be less ducks, and that turned out to be an accurate assumption. At 5 minutes to shoot time a hen mallard dropped right into the kill hole. I figured maybe if I stayed still she'd still be there when it was legal, but nope, off she went with two minutes to spare. Oh well. Then I heard a drake mallard. I peeked out of the blind and there were actually two drakes sitting on the water 20 yards away. Only 2 minutes to go! Of course thirty seconds after I saw them they simply turned around and swam 200 yards to the other side of the pond. Great. I did have some high hopes on a big duck day with what I'd seen, but it wasn't quite going to work out that way.

Basically at shoot time the skies were empty, and I do mean empty. Fact is I didn't even hear a shot anywhere until 5 minutes after shoot time. A little while after that a pair of mallards came in. I killed the drake, but the hen escaped. Then I sat there for about 40 minutes without a bird even flying over. I kind of figured at that point that I better shoot whatever came in. Two teal swung in and I dropped them both. Si snatched up the drake, but when he went to get the hen she started swimming. He was hot on her trail, and got to within 3 feet, when all of the sudden she took off and exited the pond. Si stood there watching her, then he turned back to me like he was saying, "Seriously?" An hour later a nice drake mallard came into the pond and locked right into the kill hole...mallard #2 was dead. I then sat there until noon while the only duck that came into the pond at all was a hen spoonie, and she landed out in the middle.

At about noon I had to pee, so I got out of the blind. I pulled my waders down, unbuckled my belt, pulled my pants down, and as I started to pee a drake mallard came in high from behind me. I quick turned back to the blind, grabbed the jerk cord hooked to the wigeon decoys, pulled it and hit the call. The mallard turned and I hit the call again. He dropped down low and came right over me at 20 yards. I grabbed the gun, pulled up on him, and killed him graveyard dead. Si retrieved the duck, and I finished peeing. LOL! Pretty sure that would have won an episode of America's Funniest Home Videos.

I hung out until about 1:30 and never saw another duck, so I pulled the plug on the day and came home. This was honestly one of the slowest days I have ever seen there, but I truly didn't mind. I had fun, the dog had fun, and I get to tell a funny true story. In my mind that was an awesome day.

12-11 Sunrise 1.jpg 12-11 Sunrise 2.jpg 12-11 Mallard 2.jpg 12-11 Teal 1.jpg 12-11 Si and Ducks.jpg

DuckFan, circlehooker, JRS and 18 others like this.
  2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Nice work. I have to say, my favorite part was when you described pulling on the jerk string with your waders down. Thanks for the pics, that is a mountain I never tire of seeing, even if I don't get up that way like I used to.

Brottboss likes this.
  3. smith46

smith46 Senior Refuge Member

Sounds like an awesome day! Cool pictures.

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Definitely glad I grabbed the right string. :l:l

5. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

That's how to create and present a cool post. Thanks for that.

black brant likes this.
  6. pgquackstacker

pgquackstacker Senior Refuge Member

Caught with your pants down pulling on “your jerk string”? Sounds like a pretty good day compared to being at work!

Mean Gene likes this.
  7. Docterduck

Docterduck Elite Refuge Member

What’s not to like!

8. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

TMI this is a family site you know. :dv:dv:dv

9. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Very nice photos. Question...why does your dog look like he's ready to eat the camera?

10. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

Nice write up !!