weedeater mud motor test drive

B.R. Smith

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I survived the test run and am happy to report that it does infact work, pretty good too! It is by no means a speed demon, and NOT a mud motor, but it will get me there and I don't have to worry about how much juice is left my trolling motor battery!:D

The mount is pretty crude and will only be temporary as it was a bit of a fight to keep the prop submerged at the proper level. For that matter the entire project is pretty crude, but it's pretty cheap too. The handle needs to be offset to allow for more room in the cockpit. I also need to trim up the hose clamps that hold the handle together and wrap them in duct tape. The only thing left after that is to camo it. I've decided not to attach a skeg (I might go with a cav plate, but not yet). The prop is attached by a roll pin and I don't believe I will have to worry about it breaking because the motor doesn't have enough power or torque. I hit the hard mud and it just stopped the motor. No problem though, I just moved the prop to one side started it back up and took off.

Here are some pics I took at the launch site. I shot some video too, but it will be later this afternoon before I can get it posted.

Sorry about the size of the pics, but I haven't had time to resize them yet.

launch.jpg

launch2.jpg

dryground.jpg

B.R. Smith

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hardwick 1
We did some calculations and it shouldnt work. There is just not enough torque to push a boat. If it does move you it will not last long and you will get nowhere in a hurry. I was going to do it to mine but dont want to be dissappointed.

I think you might need a new calculator!;) :p :D

B.R. Smith

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Noise was not a problem. It's not any louder than a regular two-stroke small outboard...until the prop comes out of the water!:eek:

Poke 'Em

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
you got any pics of the thing in action?

jierdan

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Way to go man... I'm currently in the middle of building about 3 of them.. 2 electric for my father-in-law's 2 man boat. I even got a hold of electric start weed-eater. It has a battery that you charge then get to were you want to be, hit a button, away you go. All free from people at work, just to see if i can do it.

Awesome job man...

Jierdan

bigquackattack

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Now that is downright cool!

spotteddog

Reaction score
Glad to see it works, Ive been thinking about putting a trolling motor on my stealth but maybe ill buy a honda generator and a 48" shop fan. Can anyone say( Airboat) ..........LOL

Latest posts