Weekend Opener - How Did You All Do?

TheCanMan

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Time to get this NY forum active again, the season is back!! Anyone head out for the weekend opener? How did you all do?

My first bird was a nice black drake. I’m seeing a lot of geese (not open in my zone right now) but not too many ducks flying. Not sure if the birds got pressure during the early youth / veterans opener but the birds seem shy. Very few flying, and what was in the sky was flying high. Interested to hear other reports …

F5F753D5-4DD2-4DA7-B7B2-C7306350ADCF.jpeg

TheCanMan

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hope someone got out today, the temps dropped overnight, the wind kicked up, and some rain over night, and the ducks were flying this morning. Had one come around my right side, my head level, banked around a reed and instantly came face to face with me, I had to “duck” and he pulled hard up and missed the top of my head by 2 feet! Shot a small hen woodie … anyone else?

4CE90536-20CE-42FD-BAF4-60EA51694689.jpeg

darkvibe

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I woke up. Saw the hourly forecast said "heavy thunderstorms", texted my friend and went back to bed.

TheCanMan

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
No reports of birds or conditions at all? Was really hoping to bring this forum back to life now that the season is back. I’m out enjoying the first week …

25845CC1-3A5F-44E7-B4E3-B3DC8A556C61.jpeg

Ramblingman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Time to get this NY forum active again, the season is back!! Anyone head out for the weekend opener? How did you all do?

My first bird was a nice black drake. I’m seeing a lot of geese (not open in my zone right now) but not too many ducks flying. Not sure if the birds got pressure during the early youth / veterans opener but the birds seem shy. Very few flying, and what was in the sky was flying high. Interested to hear other reports …

View attachment 313070
Beautiful bird! Bucket list species for me. Nice photo as well!

Curt Gibson

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nice looking bird !!!

View attachment 313070

1bigduck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
We went out, two of us, managed 8 teal & 1 woodie. What surprised me was the overall lack of mallards. I saw 6 all morning when i would typically see 20 or 30.

Soggy Socks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Shot a couple mallards earlier then went elsewhere for other stuff. I'll be back out that way later in the week. Will post when i do

Soggy Socks

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well I ended up bow hunting more than doing any duck hunting shot a six point Saturday. I did scout my duck holes a bit that fill up with mallards and blacks as it gets colder. Anyway they were pretty much barren until the day before yesterday. Dog would sneak in and scan the holes since he learned what its all about. He went in that day and saw them pointed and when I walked in they flushed. I knocked down a greenhead on the first shot waited while they cleared a bit a hen circled behind me and dumped her. He got to do a water retrieve and a land retrieve. Bismuth 5's and my Sweet 16 did the trick.
Duck walk 2021.jpg

Attachments

• Duck Spot.jpg
    Duck Spot.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts