Well how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Flyway Forum' started by techfowl, Aug 30, 2012.

1. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

Been wondering about the Bay St. Louis/Waveland/Pearlington areas.... how bad is it? I hope you folks are OK. The news seems to concentrate on New Orleans so just thought I'd ask.

2. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

I'm kind of doubting anyone has power.

3. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Massive flooding. I am in Pascagoula, and half the town is underwater. It got within a couple inches of getting in my house. It's not so much the wind/surge, as the 32" of rain in the last 48 hours that has no place to drain off.

4. Park Duck

Park Duck Banned

Lights only flickered once

5. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

My neighborhood had about 5' of water in it. Understand it has mostly receeded and all the roads are open. Have a buddy who is going to check on my house. Should be ok or at least the water shouldn't have gotten anywhere near reaching the house. Don't know about any damage to the siding, windows, dock, or yard yet but hope its pretty minimal.:pra

6. MSDuckmen

MSDuckmen Moderator

Glad it was not near as bad as Katrina

7. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Actually, the worst in Jackson County is in Helena, not down on the Gulf. The creeks all backed up when Mobile panicked and opened the floodgates to protect their dams. There are about 600 homes that got 3 feet of water in them for several days. Our Church mucked out/ripped drywall in 3 of them yesterday. Those folks are not in flood zones, and are pretty bewildered right now. Folks tend to forget a "wet and slow" storm that is Cat 1 can be just as destructive from flooding as one with higher winds and bigger surge.