Well, it’s official...

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Bwana1, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

2. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

Absolutely no way guides on the shore can keep up these farm lease prices on a 1 goose, 30 day season. Its virtually impossible, not to mention I anticipate a lesser number of day gunners willing to fork over $150-200 a day to shoot one goose. 20 days loss of revenue equates to 10s of thousands of dollars. And I am not going to mention any clubs by name, but there are several big name gun clubs who are already down members for this season, next year will probably be much worse. They will lose farms at a steady rate, and farmers will not want to hear anything about lease renegotiations. Perhaps there becomes an increased market for deer farms and they make it up this way? Doubtful, because deer leases are already outrageous and unaffordable for 80% of the hunting population. I look for a restrictive season for the next three, based on the first years brood needing to reach breeding age. This is going to be an interesting few hunting seasons over the next few years.

And I know I have mentioned this before, but God bless the mom and pop sporting good stores, restaurants, and hotels that depend on hunting money in the fall/winter months. We will see how it all plays out, but those who think it’s no big deal are dead wrong.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Based on economics, if deer leases are currently high and goose lease demand is about to drop then look for deer hunters to pick up a bunch of farms.

4. Langford

Langford Senior Refuge Member

The farms i lease are waterfowl only included in my lease. The deer is leased off separate. So possibly more people will deer hunt and less people duck/goose so this would mean deer lease prices sore even higher. I don’t think deer hunters will “pick up” farms per say because most farmers already figured out it is much more lucrative to lease rights separately. The deer farms seem to be already “picked up” by deer hunters as it is.

5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

6. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

You can guarantee one thing im not renewing my goose leases next year
    And ill be looking for more deer hunting leases and water blinds for divers

7. dirtyj

dirtyj Senior Refuge Member

The ducks will now take a pounding as a result of this and that will be screwed up for years.

8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Lets not forget that the hunting guide industry revolves around the game.....not the other way around. When guiding is good, that can't be the threshold that is set, expecting it never to change. Sorry, the guides will have good years or not so good or even bad years. It's the nature of the business. If they don't like it, they are free Americans to chose another line of work. The key word NATURE. Next year, I'll still hit the fields for geese, but I'll have the boat hooked up to hit the water for ducks too, either before or after. Probably before, then hit the fields for geese, ahem....goose.

Shawn Swearingen likes this.
  9. duckbutler

duckbutler Senior Refuge Member

Getting Sunday hunting could help. Mom and Pop stores, dining lodging.. PLEASE like 43 other states...

10. wvlippo

wvlippo Senior Refuge Member

This.