Well, looks like we're raising a baby dove.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Petey better watch our for this guy

All fun and games until a wingbone goes through your hand. Saw it once, and have used my cap to catch the few I've had a chance at since. Been a few years.

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big happenings in Petey's world!

I try to let him out of his cage every day to peck around and practice flying. Yesterday he was in the front yard and I was on the porch watching him and having my coffee. A hawk flew over the house comi g from behind me and landed in a tree across the street. Either a sharp shinned or Cooper's. It didn't see Petey but Petey saw it. He crouched into a sitting position with h his head up. Then he slowly walked under an azalea bush to hide. At least he's got good predator instincts.

This morning he was sitting on the porch and I was on the steps. I've been putting out seed trying to attract some doves but all I've seen so far is other birds. As we're hanging out this morning, a dove comes in and lands by the condensation drain from the AC for water. Lots of birds use it.

It was less than ten feet from us so I gently pushed Petey off the edge of the porch. He landed and sat there a few seconds and then started looking the direction of the other dove and taking a few steps that way. I was trying to hide by leaning against the wall.

After about three minutes the other dove flew up and tried to land on the porch rail. It had been sitting right by Petey

Of course it saw me and flew into a tree. Petey just sat there and watched it

His voice is changing too. He's been peeping since we found him now he's trying to make a cooing sound.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ok @widgeon . .
No updates on Petey since Saturday? .
I didn't sleep well last night not knowing what's up in Peteys world .
You have to keep up up to date.

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, no big changes. He does seem to be going through a molt and changing into his adult plumage. He likes hanging out on the front porch.

The fox showed back up on our security camera.

IMG_20220921_175624230.jpg

riverrat47

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's probably too late to expect him to leave, he's imprinted on you. Your ONLY hope is to cut off all access to the garage, food, and both of you. MAYBE he will go out to forage on his own and find some friends.

Timber Hole

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's probably too late to expect him to leave, he's imprinted on you. Your ONLY hope is to cut off all access to the garage, food, and both of you. MAYBE he will go out to forage on his own and find some friends.

If it was that easy there wouldn’t be so many kids still living at home at 30 years old!

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but this morning he took off like a rocket and flew around the house to the back yard. My wife was dropping my stepdaughter at school so I sure didn't want her showing up and Petey missing. I found him sitting on a fence and managed to get him back.

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got home from hunting yesterday evening right before dark. Petey was sitting on the brick wall beside his cage. Then I noticed Petey was IN his cage too!

Another dove was sitting beside the cage! It flew when I walked up but I'm hoping it comes back today.

Latest posts