Well, looks like we're raising a baby dove.

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, sometimes doing the right thing ain't doing the right thing.
I picked up a sick, not injured, adult sparrow hawk and took it home. I knew you really couldn't screw around with raptors so I called a non-game bird biologist that I knew at the state game & fish dept. to see if they wanted to do something with it. He said I could just as much for it as they could and if it lived, it lived, if not so be it. The reason it was sick was from secondary poisoning from eating a poisoned black bird. There had been an illegal poisoning of black birds near by and the game & fish folks had gotten a lot of reports of dead and sick hawks & owls. I had an appropriate cage to put him in and started feeding it raw chicken & pork. After a few days, it started perking up and I was able to have it perch on my hand and hand feed it with the other. A couple of weeks went by and his feathers were looking a little ragged. It really needed to be released and I did.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've had some baby coons I could have rehabbed or taken somewhere. They didn't get the courtesy.
Now baby birds I always try to save if it ain't a starling or house sparrow.
I seriously love to find another woodchuck, that critter was a blast to have around.
Widgeon , probably going to be stuck with a dove for a while.
Maybe do a documentary on teaching it to migrate, like that guy did with the geese.
Even though in a few weeks we'd all be throwing lead at him , I doubt if many would just not do the same if it was us that found it .

waterswatter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What is it about baby doves? My nephew shot a Eurasian collared dove out of our pine tree a couple years ago
(awesome 80 yard shot standing with the pellet gun) and the next day a baby dove comes out of the tree and hops up and sits on my wife's shoe.

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I picked up a sick, not injured, adult sparrow hawk and took it home. I knew you really couldn't screw around with raptors so I called a non-game bird biologist that I knew at the state game & fish dept. to see if they wanted to do something with it. He said I could just as much for it as they could and if it lived, it lived, if not so be it. The reason it was sick was from secondary poisoning from eating a poisoned black bird. There had been an illegal poisoning of black birds near by and the game & fish folks had gotten a lot of reports of dead and sick hawks & owls. I had an appropriate cage to put him in and started feeding it raw chicken & pork. After a few days, it started perking up and I was able to have it perch on my hand and hand feed it with the other. A couple of weeks went by and his feathers were looking a little ragged. It really needed to be released and I did.
Shoulda fed it a few more of those blackbirds. Too many hawks around! :dv

Kidding... sort of.

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What is it about baby doves? My nephew shot a Eurasian collared dove out of our pine tree a couple years ago
(awesome 80 yard shot standing with the pellet gun) and the next day a baby dove comes out of the tree and hops up and sits on my wife's shoe.
My wife wanted to walk the dogs down to creek a few years ago . Jake her bone head lab picked up a very tiny dove under the pine tree at the end of the driveway. All hell breaks loose with her screaming at me and the dog .
Dog swallowed it whole , puked it up on the way back home .

nobands

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I remember as a really young kid my dad's buddy killing a red tail ,as after that year they were getting protection. He had it mounted. Don't remember the year , but I was little. It was perched on a branch in his den all my years growing up .
Doubt they would of done anything illegal ;)

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
He's turned into an eating machine! And a poop factory.

IMG_20220805_111917036.jpg