Well, what's the game plan boyz............

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. DuCrazy

DuCrazy Elite Refuge Member

Yep...you will and so will I.....like it or not.

2. dannyduck

dannyduck Refuge Member

Let's follow the money: For 2020-2021, 24,000 resident waterfowlers @ $ 27.50 (license) + $ 2.50 (HIP) + $ 10.00 (state stamp) = $ 960,000 (36%)
    15,500 non-resident waterfowlers @ $ 97.50 (license) + $ 2.50 (HIP) + $ 10.00 (state stamp) = $ 1,705,000 (64%)
    --------------
    $ 2,665,000 (100%)

Also recognize that a state's share of federal funding is proportioned to that state based on the number of hunters hunting in their respective state. So basically, how much revenue is the state willing to cut from it's budget?

ukcpeak likes this.
  3. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

Danny provides the math that makes the state and city of Great Bend happy.

There are two solutions to the problem, and I have hunted Cheyenne Bottoms since 1985.
    First solution, limit access similar to the 80s but use modern technology, you have to draw for a GPS coordinate pole and stay within 100 yards when hunting. Back to sleeping in line and I would suggest shooting stops at 1pm, no more afternoon hunting.
    Solution two: eliminate all motors. Again back in the 80s there were a few airboats until that was forbidden.
    A third solution could be a combination of one and two.

I have to laugh at proposed wake zone violations at Cheyenne Bottoms. The county court got tired of lifejacket violations 15 years ago.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Will require increased manpower to implement and enforce. KDWP isn't going to/can't pay for it. How about just dropping the bag limits to 3?
    No one, including area managers want more regulations, especially those that are mandatory restrictions. How about just dropping the bag limits to 3?
    fHFow about no one on the water, on foot or in boats, UNTIL 1PM? This would ease the pressure on the ducks since no one would be kicking them out at 4AM. This would also eliminate the college kids from hiking in at midnight to claim a spot. How about just dropping the bag limits to 3?
    This would help, but would be universally unpopular. (there would be a hue and cry raised from residents and non-residents.
    How about "electric motors only"? Gives everyone an option. How about just dropping the bag limits to 3? Does anyone really need to shoot six birds a day??
    Agree.

5. kansascutter

kansascutter Senior Refuge Member

I’m fairly certain Loveless said he didn’t want to drop bag limits as the method to control NR pressure. Anyone else hear that?

6. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

A reduction in limit might help, but find the biggest mass of mallards and I will find the biggest mass of people hunting three mallards too close together. Electric is progressing at a fast rate, what seems ok today is probably going to be a problem in 3 to 5 years. Tough solutions to complex problems, probably the easiest solution is no motors. My 20 foot Grumman canoe went many places at Cheyenne Bottoms back in the day....

7. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I heard it.
    Nobody WANTS to add any additional regulations restricting hunters in Kansas, but everyone....resident hunters, NR hunters, area managers, state secretaries, etc......is going to have to do something they don't really want to do if this problem is going to be effectively addressed.

You got that right, Billboard.

8. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

20 shell limit would help eliminate all the sky blasting and pass shooting

loveless did a lot of nodding his head. I think he wants change but has to be careful and let the commission do their part. Keep emailing and give ideas and maybe something will stick.

9. Scal les

Scal les Senior Refuge Member

10. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

ED Vanderbeck likes this.