Well, what's the game plan boyz............

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Scal les

Scal les Senior Refuge Member

You guys need to love your fellow American hunters & realize droughts in nesting grounds are creating a decline along with human populations,parks ,lakes ecological reserve,duck population,same chits in my state ,wake up brothers and smell the bacon...iv been hunting for 40 years I see the changes ,stop with the outsider s ,cheeses I may be born in California my bloodline from coal mines of Pennsylvania ,this country belongs to everyone.

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 12:29 AM
  2. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I think you guys need to get a grip on the isportsman thing. If they are basing their data off of the isportsman, and the locals aren't using it that really skews the numbers artificially. Because NR will use the system at much higher percentage that locals. I'm not saying that locals aren't using the system, but from what's been posted on here, it's a possibility. Without the knowledge (data) as evidence of local use, you can't say your use numbers have any meaning. I think you guys need to get your ducks in a row better, before you start making claims. I'm just glad no one comes to ohio to hunt ducks. It's crazy enough with just the locals hunting.

Scal les likes this.
  3. Scal les

Scal les Senior Refuge Member

Ohio cornbread fed too:tu.we get alot NR & guides in my state ,gunning for specks&snows in are rice fields,folks come for cinnamon teal I don't care ,I still shoot better it's my backyard (state refuge).

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 1:23 AM
  4. BlackLegendGauge

BlackLegendGauge Senior Refuge Member

Dad wants a Cinnamon teal bad.

I want to set up a trip for him to get it done.

Scal les likes this.
  5. BlackLegendGauge

Good info as always Wu...

Locals around Great Bend will always have it tough as CB is highlighted as a waterfowl destination throughout magazines and online articles.

For the state of KS, I hunt close to a dozen different public and WIHA and I don't really feel crowded.

In all honesty, I have never hunted St. Paul. I know some locals that have told me where to walk in to, if I don't mind the walk but I would be more interested in hunting the Timber there.

6. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Lets take a look at what Arkansas does on one of its largely populated area known as Bayou Meto. Maybe we can take some ideas here.

NR can buy a 5 day permit for $30.50, they can use it in three 10 day slot offerings from the state. The duck season is 60 days but the NR are only offered 30 days on public lands.

George H. Dunklin Jr. Bayou Meto WMA (Zone 010)
    AGFC 877-367-3559 • 33,832 acres • Arkansas, Jefferson counties
    Waterfowl hunters must be off water by noon.
    • No boats allowed Nov. 16-20, Dec. 1-10 and Dec. 24-25.
    Exception 1 – Boats allowed from 4 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. Dec. 5 and Feb. 6.
    Exception 2 – Boats allowed on the following waters:
    • Mulberry Access (includes all of the Salt Bayou ditches to the confluence of Little Bayou Meto)
    • Buckingham Flats Access (includes Big Bayou Meto)
    • Cannon Brake Access (includes Little Bayou Meto only within the Cannon Brake Impoundment)
    • Cox Cypress and Grand Cypress lakes
    • Closed to all access (except in designated campsites, parking areas, boat launch ramps and boat staging
    areas) from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m., Nov. 21-Jan. 31 and Feb. 6. Boats may only be launched in boat staging areas after 2:00 a.m. and any boat must remain occupied at all times while kept in boat staging areas
    between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m.
    It is unlawful to use any device that simulates wing movement or movement of any kind through
    electrical or mechanical means, except jerk strings.
    See Page 43 for exact code.
    Boats with outboard motors larger than 25 horsepower or surface-drive motors of more than 37
    horsepower and airboats may not be used.

• No boats allowed on the Government Cypress Walk-in Waterfowl Impoundment. For a map of the
    Government Cypress Walk-In Waterfowl Impoundment, visit www.agfc.com/bayoumeto.
    • No boats allowed from Noon to 4 a.m. Nov. 21-30, Dec. 11-23 and Dec. 26-Jan. 31.
    Exception 1 – Boats allowed from Noon until 6:30 p.m., Dec. 5, Jan. 31 and Feb. 6. Exception 2 – Boats allowed from Noon until 6:30 p.m. on the following waters: • Mulberry Access (includes all of Salt Bayou ditches to the confluence of Little Bayou Meto).
    • Buckingham Flats Access (includes Big Bayou Meto).
    • Cannon Brake Access to include Little Bayou Meto only within the Cannon Brake Impoundment.
    • Cox Cypress and Grand Cypress lakes.
    Waterfowl hunters may not possess shotgun shells containing shot larger than No. 2 and may possess no
    more than 15 shells
    unless hunters are in camping, parking or boat-launching areas or during the Special
    Youth Waterfowl Hunts and Special Military Hunts, Dec. 5 and Feb. 6.
    • See Page 44 for boating restrictions.

limited hunting hours, motor restrictions, spinning wing restrictions, shot gun shell restrictions, maybe some of you need to head to the Arkansas forum to voice your opinion over there. How dare they restrict NR. The nerve they have.

7. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Yeah.....they got a lot of nerve alright (not sure all that really made a dent in anything but....ok)

and even after restricting the NR hunting Arkansas still managed in 2019 to kill 1,091,000 ducks with 75,400 hunters and 496,800 days afield for 14.5 ducks per hunter average compared to Kansas which killed 156,300 ducks with 13,800 hunters and 74,900 days afield for 11.3 ducks per hunter average.

In 2018 Arkansas killed 1,006,200 ducks with 60,700 hunters and 500,900 days afield for a 16.6 average.
    Funny that they had more hunters with slightly less number of days afield (pressure) and killed more ducks in 2019.
    Just like Kansas did in 2018 when they killed 174,600 ducks with 18,100 hunters and 74,900 days afield for a 9.7 duck average.

Louisiana has had some of their worse seasons in 50 years and in 2019 they killed 572,400 ducks with 50,000 duck hunters (both resident and NR) and 287,100 days afield for a 13.9 duck per hunter average.

Maybe y'all better start following those LA licenses that are hunting CB.... seems they know how to kill "pressured" ducks....
    or hope the ducks return to Louisiana so they don't have leave Louisiana to go shoot "your ducks"

DuCrazy and Scal les like this.
  8. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Nope, but for 30 days of the duck season some boy from Little Rock can drive to the Meto and not see one Texas or Louisiana plate and I bet it makes that boy happy, happy, happy and that's what the Barton county boys would like to be one day, happy, happy, happy.

9. SEK HUNTER

SEK HUNTER Refuge Member

I would be more than happy to go with you to St. Paul. You can pick the day as I only live about 20 miles away. I went down there 4-5 times last year and only ended up hunting once. The amount of hunters there was unbelievable. I went during the week in hopes of a smaller crowd, but it didn't matter the day of the week, it was still packed. I wish I had taken pictures of the parking lot so everyone could see first hand the number of out of state hunters compared to Kansas hunters. Not sure what timber you are wanting to hunt at St. Paul. I believe pool 6 is the only one with timber and it's very small and a good distance from the actual refuge. I've never scouted it and I haven't heard of much success there. The other pools have timber/tree lines, but not much for actual timber hunting. It should be quite the show there this fall watching everyone trying to launch at 5 am. Guessing 5 am launch is better than guys getting in the pools at 2 or 3 in the morning. I've been hunting waterfowl for 40+ years in Kansas and have never seen the amount of hunters that I did this last year. I know that I'm not going to convince you that there's a problem, but the residents of Kansas have seen first hand what the pressure does to the waterfowl hunting in our state.

Tuleman and SEKhunter like this.
  10. BlackLegendGauge

Again, I think a few of the places last year saw what they did because of covid and what surrounding states were doing on their own WMAs.

Missouri had online draws this year as the morning pills were not in place.