Well, what's the game plan boyz............

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. SEK HUNTER

SEK HUNTER Refuge Member

Again, I know that I'm not going to change your mind, but it was more than just a few places that saw over crowding. I hunt several different reservoirs and small lakes that I very seldom see over crowding up until last year. These are off the beaten path and typically only hunted by locals. I don't have a problem with non residents hunting Kansas, but I do have a problem with the amount of non residents over crowding our public areas. I hunt North Dakota and I'm only aloud to hunt 14 days or two different 7 consecutive day hunts. I also know that I can't hunt opening weekend pheasant in North Dakota. That doesn't upset me as I understand that the local residents in North Dakota should be first priority. They didn't ban out of state hunters, they just made some modifications to allow their residents some additional benefits/opportunities without the pressure from non residents. I don't believe the Kansas residents are asking for any more than what some other states have implemented. I'm not even going to get into the amount of land that has been leased up or the guide infestation. Those two topics just add to the problem. Just my 2 cents. Carry on....

Tuleman, ED Vanderbeck and SEKhunter like this.
  2. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I promise you the reason there were more NR's than you usually see is very simple.....college classes were cancelled. I know at least a dozen college boys who ran all over the Midwest....and they all knew a bunch more.

Couple that with the drought in Western/Southwestern Missouri and the diminished opportunities due to covid....perfect storm of overcrowded public areas. Is there anyone who didn't figure that out before the season even started??? :l :l

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You are lucky.
    For every person who hunts Kansas land, public and private, and doesn't feel the pressure from hunters, there are ten others (like me and SEK HUNTER) who experience the disappointment of seeing two dozen trucks in the parking lot when we arrive. And all but a handful of those being OOS.
    I'm glad you don't feel crowded. Most of us DO feel the crowds.

SEK HUNTER likes this.
  4. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Elite Refuge Member

I don't care what NR or anyone else says. I hunted 60+ times last season, mostly public, and it was overrun with NR hunters from October thru freeze up. I personally saw 3:1 NR to Resident ratio (that's being conservative) if I average the entire season. I saw it. Experienced it. Lived it. If anyone wants to tell me Im wrong, they are 100% full of BS. Fact. End of discussion.

Countless days afield driving past lines of NR trucks and trailers before seeing a resident tag.

I look for more of the same this year.

Tuleman, golden boy and SEK HUNTER like this.
  5. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

Two years in a row the USFWS and CWS have not done population and breeding surveys, yet the liberal seasons continue. The agencies are all about the revenue, not the resource.

dux/24 7, ED Vanderbeck and gold10 like this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I think everyone agrees that the 2020-21 season was an anomaly as far as hunter numbers are concerned.
    That does not change the fact that the percentage of NR hunters hunting on Kansas lands has been steadily rising since about 2015. When is the time to address this? .....when that number reaches 99%??

We are just over four months away from the start of the 2021-22 waterfowl season here in Kansas (Early Teal). Do we think that much of anything will change by then, covid-wise (from last year)?
    If the liberals continue to have their way, do we think it will change that much ever?
    Each change we see seems to become the new normal. Why would we expect this one to be any different?

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  7. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

I know some guys who came up from a southern state and hunted a week on the last day they hunted they learned about isportsman so don't tell those numbers are correct. They were setting up at 12.30 am to get the choice spot because of all the pressure. Nothing to see here

8. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

How did they drive by those huge billboards the department put up to inform them about Isportsman? They must be blind they are everywhere!!!!

And Joe Biden got 83,000,000 votes by never leaving his basement.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  9. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Elite Refuge Member

Never seen one in Cherokee or Crawford or labette county that's how

10. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

Data: I have to play with data all day in my forecasting business and stock market hobby. The state will counter that Covid caused an X increase in hunters in 2020. Pretend the number is 20%, if the numbers go up 1% in 2021 the state will counter it was a one year trend---BS!!!! I Sportsman, the card system, it was all a joke. Probably the most relevant data came in the days you had to check in at MDC and CB in the 90s. I had to identify ducks for people at CB once a week when I lived in the area---I wonder how those got reported? At my decoy sale I sold decoys to four individuals, not one over age 22, good to see them in the field also the ones most capable of camping out all night. The central issue is over crowding at public hunting areas.

Tuleman and ED Vanderbeck like this.