Well, what's the game plan boyz............

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

Cheyenne Bottoms is no different than a favorite restaurant---you find it, great food, great service, you take a few friends, and BOOM you show up and a 90 minute wait for dinner. Great Bend loves the money hunting brings to the area, and the state likes to sell hunting licenses. The Feds like to sell duck stamps and collect Pittman Robertson tax money from outdoor gear. We can find 50 people we know who would like to see fewer hunters at the Bottoms, it will be a tough battle. We want to think we own the "restaurant" but we do not own it. If we leave, four other people to take our place.

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

So, what is your suggestion for reducing hunter pressure? Keep in mind that the only way to reduce hunter pressure is to reduce the number of hunters on the marsh.
    How would you reduce hunter numbers? I'm open to any ideas.

3. Tuleman

In the case of Kansas hunting, those four other people are already here, hunting the same grounds as we are. That's the problem: current over-crowding.

4. Billboard Man

You and I have discussed the pros and cons of going back to the old check in system at Cheyenne Bottoms, there is a cost and there will be those that complain they cannot find blind area 110. The nonresidents continue to come because they see Kansas as less crowded.
    I have been selling decoys the last few weeks. Most of the decoys have been sold to younger people, hunting public areas. They come from both sides of the state and agree conditions are crowded and much of it caused by outfitters. They do not see many solutions.
    I know three people including myself on here very capable of hunting remote public areas and using less than 10 shells per hunt. I did that for many years, and I finally got bored with it. I know a few of you watched me at the Bottoms and wonder why I did not make this or that shot---I was in a good part of a book or asleep. I find waterfowling to be fun with another person to watch opposite direction and to hear their stories.
    Fishing has gotten bad, too. I troll most of the year and do some jigging in fall and winter. When another boat shows up I usually head to another spot. Most quit the area in 20 minutes not being able to duplicate what I am doing. I used to hang around and the more fish I caught the longer the other boats stay.

WuChang and Tuleman like this.
  5. Billboard Man

One more observation, my last big sales of decoys came in 2014/2015 when I got rid of the goose trailer and we were moving from Great Bend to Marion. It was easy to sell field decoys in2014/2015, usually the same day I put on Craigslist. Selling field goose and duck decoys in 2021 is a very slow process----and I can make a very good guess why, the outfitters took the fields away. Floating ducks and geese----still good interest.

sylvanwilson, dux/24 7 and Tuleman like this.
  6. Tuleman

Anyone get the new FWS/NSSF hunter survey? Looks like it could help with our issues here......

7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

To make decisions based on 2020-21 season is dumb. It's an anomaly and these things work themselves out over time.
    I've seen venues suddenly explode with competition in places you'd never think of.
    Come back the next season and it's crickets.
    If you rush to make laws you'll regret it later because it's never quite what you asked for.

8. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

5600 more NR deer hunters put in for lottery, so it’s obviously not Covid related. The waterfowl community wants to stomp this out before it gets out of control. Good luck in your new search for another state to shoot ducks.

9. Tuleman

Nothing wrong with that advice....except history suggests that it doesn't apply here.
    The problem isn't based on what we experienced in one season. It's been steadily growing the last five seasons at least. I see no reason that our WMA will suddenly be down to 2010-levels of hunters this coming fall.
    Do you??

10. kansascutter

kansascutter Senior Refuge Member

Tuleman is exactly right. It’s too bad the commission bought into that BS presentation Stuart Schrag fed to them. There was more fuzzy math and out right lies thrown out than the Clinton Dossier.

sylvanwilson and Tuleman like this.