Well, what's the game plan boyz............

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I just finished watching the afternoon session. Nick - nice job again especially the redirect at the end of the discussion steering them away from a lottery. I agree that would be bad unless it’s strictly a lottery for nonresidents which they may not be able to do.
    Sporer and Sill definitely get it. I think Rider does too but he’s more concerned about his SE zone season dates. They seem to be taking this seriously and it will be interesting to see what options the Department brings to the next meeting. I still think the more impactful long term solutions will take legislative action and time. For the upcoming season I think the best we can hope for would be limiting NR days on public lands assuming that could be accomplished through the licensing process and it doesn’t require legislative action.

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

This slide condenses the problem into crystal clear terms we have all been trying to express.

Residents purchased an average of roughly 24,000 state waterfowl stamps (+/- 1500) or so per year in the 2011-2021 period.
    Non residents went from 5500 stamps in 2011 to 15,500 in 2021.

Wow

Attached Files:

3. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

That’s a huge increase. Everyone wants graphs, guess the non residents will see one they won’t like

4. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

To me lottery means NR apply July 1st, KWP draws 6000 NR names and gives them the ok to waterfowl hunt during the season, no over the counter tags sold.

drawing: similar to Missouri, put your conservation number in a weekly drawing, you get drawn, you hunt if not, see ya later.

seems to me there is confusion going on. Can’t see how a lottery system is a burden on the department. Drawing yes, lottery no.

5. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Elite Refuge Member

I agree

6. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Not going to matter, gas will be $6 a gallon, shelves for steel shot will be empty and unless you somehow have a couple cases in your closet there won’t be much hunting in this fall.

7. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

Those definitions of drawing vs lottery make sense. I agree a lottery would not be burdensome to the Department but my guess is they would not be able to implement it without legislative action.

8. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Interesting
    USFWS reports a different number of ACTIVE waterfowl hunters for Kansas
    In fact, Kansas has never reported over 20,000 ACTIVE waterfowl hunters

9. Scott_Dellinger

Scott_Dellinger New Member

I was in the call by phone and golden boy is correct - without a "raise hand" option it was difficult to get into the discussion so I remained quiet. Nick did a very nice job summarizing the issues at hand, and representing the forum. The only thing I wanted to say was during the commissioner conversation about the 5-day "tours" for NR to apply for. It seemed to me like they were talking about providing unlimited 5-day tours for NR. This would be more like a tier 1 reduction, and might not get the impact we are looking for. Sure - if a NR normally comes to KS and hunts 7-10 days (which makes me wonder about how they are consuming/transporting their kill) - then the 5 day tour would be a little bit of a reduction. The real power that the agency could have (if they chose to do this) would be to LIMIT the number of 5 day tours available to NR by date range. For example, let's pretend that 1000 NR waterfowl hunters apply for a 5 day tour from Oct 15 - 19 (I'm just making these dates up). If the agency allows all 1000 NR to obtain that window, there really wasn't much of a reduction. A tier 2 reduction - and what I think the agency should consider - would be to restrict Oct. 15 - 19 to 500 NR waterfowl hunter permits. This would be a -500 gun impact on the marshes that week. Everything can be accomplished through licensing with a side of computerized application portal. Just because someone doesn't get the first set of dates they want, doesn't mean they are out for the season - they can apply for a different set and hopefully hit the lottery on their second or third options. The 1000/500 numbers are also made up - and should be based on data to determine what is reasonable/what the normal weekly demand is. The key is trying to find the sweet spot between hunter satisfaction, appropriate fee structure for Res and NR alike, and overall budget picture. Scott

gold10 likes this.
  10. Flared Again

Flared Again New Member

Scott,
    Do those dates under the Tier 2 reduction also include OOS who hunt with Guides? If the not, the guide business is about to double!