Well, what's the game plan boyz............

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

yep.....there are folks that buy 2 stamps....one to hunt with....one to collect and there folks/companies that buy stamps and create multi state or multi year collector items
    You see them at various waterfowl fund raisers etc

I believe FEDS use HIP DATA and they state in a footnote that Flyway totals may include hunters hunting in multiple states but I doubt they know if the hunter is from Kansas or elsewhere

according to the slide
    39,500 total stamps sold

HIGHEST number of ACTIVE hunters reported was 19,000 and change during the last 5 years

if the claim is all 15,500 OOS hunted.....ie ACTIVE hunters then that sure is a lot of stamp collectors living in Kansas

just sayin

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  2. kansascutter

kansascutter Senior Refuge Member

All this stamp talk is ridiculous. Is that chart not for the State stamp? Who in the hell would buy a state stamp and not use it? Nobody. I get buying the federal stamp, it’s purty. It supports the FEDERAL program. You NR are gripping. BTW where is Coca Cola Cliner? :l

3. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Your right kansascutter, fed stamp is what people collect, state is just a print out same as hip

Tuleman likes this.
  4. WuChang

WuChang Elite Refuge Member

Stamp or no stamp......quite a difference

As for CCC aka Coca Cola Cliner......he might be a Quaker and is here in spirit if not in body :joker

5. Scott_Dellinger

Scott_Dellinger New Member

Tuleman is correct - I was only talking about freelance NR hunters on public lands. The commission made it clear during the meeting that it's illegal for guides to hunt (commercially) on state owned public lands. As far as NR on private grounds - there wouldn't be any date range restrictions (lottery) in place for that. I believe golden boy had a note to that effect on one of the previous pages.

Sidebar: what did everyone think about the chatter on deer hunting with airguns (the epic refrigerator + plywood story :clap) and nighttime coyotes (thermal imaging)?

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I don't care if a no-wake rule is implemented on Cheyenne Bottoms....and so far it is ONLY on CB that this rule is being considered.
    I also don't have a problem with a 'no motors after 1pm' regulation on CB, if that should come to fruition....although, by 1 pm, most of the birds will have been chased off the hunting pools into Pool 5 and/or TNC.

7. Tuleman

While they might be able to see (when there is sufficient light) that someone is exceeding 'no wake' speeds, "meeting them at the ramp" might be more difficult to pull off than you'd imagine.
    Which ramp? (the hunting pools have more than one ramp, some of them have 3)
    How long is a LEO or manager (who does not have law enforcement authority) expected to wait at any one ramp to intercept a suspect boat? Most of us, after heading out at 4AM (when it's DARK, by the way, and impossible to ID a boat), will be out there for from 2 to 10 hours.
    Who determines what 'no wake' or 'idle' speed is? The LEO? The boat operator? A judge? Where is the demarcation point between "slow" and "fast"? How long is a piece of string....?
    Instituting a no-wake rule is a step towards controlling hunter 'pressure', but it's far from perfect and certainly not the final answer.

Hunter pressure can only be significantly relieved by reducing the number of hunters on the area, not by limiting how they use their boats. While CB's proposed steps are in the right direction, they are ONLY applicable to CBWMA....not statewide....and have to be followed up with stiff, unpopular, universal measures if Kansas hunting is to be saved in the years to come.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  8. Tuleman

There are reasons MO doesn't utilize third-party evidence....and that KS can't either.

9. Tuleman

I dunno', nick. Of the dozen trucks with trailers parked at any given ramp at LST, there will be one or two left by 1 o'clock as it is. I've seen it a hundred times.
    So, what will removing those two remaining boats do for the afternoon hunt? Not much, I'd say....not as it relates to hunting pressure.
    After all, 99% of the birds will have been driven back into TNC long before 1PM.

Granted, that rule WILL make for a more peaceful experience for the guy who walks into Pool 4A at 3PM for his afternoon hunt........

Bottom line: I support the rule, should it become official.

10. Tuleman

I get your point, Chang....and it's a valid one..... but it doesn't apply to the Kansas state waterfowl "stamp".