Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Well?

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Been very slow for me. Know others that are doing well. Spot I scouted last Monday and was empty, so I went elsewhere this week, and today a deer hunter said it was loaded. I bet they'll be gone when I go in there Monday in two days, this front will move em on. Should've been scouting more and deer hunting less leading up to season, a lot of historically good swamps that I've gone to seem to be low on water and ducks. Oh well, hope this rain is a big one.

2. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

The swamp hunters are having much better luck in our area. Still enough ducks on our spots to keep the spirits up.

3. Valleyhonker

Valleyhonker Senior Refuge Member

A lot of birds on the move out here. A lot. A whole lot. All high flyers, divers, big ducks, little ducks, all trading around before the rain. Didn’t hardly fire the gun, but it sure is a sight to see.

4. VA marsh rat

VA marsh rat Senior Refuge Member

Almost blew my barrel up this morning. I had three black ducks line up perfectly over the decoys; 25 yards and stuck in the wind. I threw the gun up and fired and it went ‘pfffffttt.’ I quickly disassembled the gun and sure enough, the wadding was stuck halfway down the barrel. Really glad I didn’t try to take a second shot. Soggy shell from last year - what are the chances I grabbed that one out of the shell box? I probably won’t get a shot as pretty as that one for awhile. I was impressed with the number of birds i saw, but those three were the only ones that committed to the spread.

5. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

You just got "cursed" by the black duck. Those things have evil ways of getting to you. They almost act like a spirit rather than a duck. Keep after them,you'll get them next time.

Deadrise likes this.
  6. buckmaster1

buckmaster1 Elite Refuge Member

Apollo Beach, Fl, Formerly from Gloucester, VA
    Black Magic Duck put a spell on you

7. Deadrise

8. Deadrise

Exactly as three of our hunts this year. Makes you understand why the great decoy carvers worked so hard and the hunters gunned out of coffin boxes.

9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I hate a black duck. In NC you can't shoot them the first week of the season so naturally they decoy beautifully.... then yesterday nothing lower than 200 yards. That's ok, give me a little ice and revenge will be had.

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Growing up all I did was hunt black ducks (up in Yankee land). If you got one you went home because you weren't gonna see much else. I routinely hunted with 1-5 decoys (never two or four).

I never thought I would see the day when you would be able to shoot more than one a day, so I was giddy when it went up to two. I have killed just 3 since the limit went up. Maybe tomorrow will bring more.