Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Well?

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Little Ruddy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Chesapeakefreak

Chesapeakefreak Senior Refuge Member

I believe the shoveler is the #1 dumbest duck in ice. He will commit suicide over and over again in ice till the whole flock is dead. Close #2 for me is the black duck. Ice makes him silly, but falling snow makes him a kamikaze.

Divers seem to maintain their level of wariness (which aint much!) despite the conditions? But marsh ducks seem to react strongly, the worse the conditions, the bolder they become.......

2. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Killed some deer. Hoping ducks stack up during this break.

3. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

I want a hard freeze for the end season north and west of the lower bay . So hard that a boat is useless . The cherry on top would be a deep snow storm here on my X.

:) LD :dv

4. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I hear ya Ld. Only issue is that we usually get that cold too and the whole bay freezes up and we can't get out. Definitely need some weather before next part comes in.

5. TMWtrfwler

TMWtrfwler Elite Refuge Member

had 30 mallards and 3 teal on the pond thanksgiving morning. hunted Friday AM. had 6 mallards come in wide of the decoys. had three more do it perfect. shot two drakes, picked up, and went inside to eat breakfast and have coffee. perfect hunt for the current situation. deer hunting has been great to my family thus far this season. one son got his first deer ever, a 6 pt, my older boy got his first buck that had broken off his right side (assuming it was an 8), and my dad got his best deer ever in a nice 10pt. Arkansas is next week and ducks when we are back in season here.

Deadrise likes this.
  6. LEWDOG

LR I can walk to my X and will be sure to have everything on location at the ready . Heat food ice breaker tools decoys guns and shells !

:dv LD :D

7. Little Ruddy

Don't have that luxury in my neck of the woods. Need a boat to get to our spots.

8. LEWDOG

I am sorry to read that, I knew y'all built water blinds but thought you also had blind on land too . I recently lost my freshwater spots and have only the salt marsh to hunt .
    Ice breaking with a boat is a pain but doable .

:eek: LD :oops:

9. Little Ruddy

Try not to get in the ice with the boats anymore than we have to...just so EZ to tear the rig up busting ice. Would rather miss a couple days and wait for ice to clear,then go out. Don't hate the ducks as much as we use to.

10. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

You're in the right state for that...Virginia Is For Lovers.

LEWDOG likes this.