Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Went to Santa Cruz... Observations and questions.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Apr 5, 2021.

1. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, I'm sure if I only ate a palm full of seeds I'd lose weight.
    I don't over eat but maybe on a few holidays, and I'm still pack'in around more than I should be.
    I eat one meal a day and that is normally whole foods veggies, meat and whole grain.

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

One meal a day isn't typically a good way to go from what I understand. ‍♂️

3. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

My 10yr old eats damn near nonstop and is a scrawny sucker! He eats healthier than a lot of kids from what I see, and is pretty active though.
    It's definitely an effort though; fishnfool is dead right--it's far easier and cheaper to eat poorly. The wife and I could certainly do better ourselves, but we try to do a good job with the kids.

4. duckman54

duckman54 Elite Refuge Member

That's what I've always heard also, they say it puts your body in starvation mode knowing
    it won't get anymore food for 24 hours and is reluctant to rid itself of any calories.

5. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

I realize that, but I don't like eating when I'm not hungry too me it's equal too wasting food.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

With adults yes... With kids???

Kids have a different metablolism that is designed to burn calories and create energy (and grow). Obviously healthy is better, but kids need more calories, and should be able to burn them far quicker than adults... But kids were not designed to sit on the couch and play an Ipad all day either.

Personally, not that it would be a great idea, but I think kids could eat a lot of crap and not get fat.... While both diet and activity levels are playing into the increasing obesity in children, I do believe that the lack of activity it playing a larger role.

tcc likes this.
  7. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Said the guy with 24,000 social media post......just sayin.

8. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

Of course the metabolism of a kid is different than an adult, and of course they burn fat easier than adults. That's not my point.

Human beings don't create matter. We don't magically defy the law of conservation of energy. We're ALL the net balance of our input vs. output...regardless of factors like age or metabolism. And its far easier for a kid to just not eat a cookie than it is for the kid to burn away the calories of said cookie.

letmwurk likes this.
  9. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Senior Refuge Member

Don’t forget, some boys gets bit chubby around 10-13 sometimes just before puberty...

10. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

I took a short term work assignment in Eureka last Oct/Nov and saw the same things with the masks. Those people were freaked the frick out. :l Who I did NOT see wearing masks was the overwhelming homeless population that has taken over that town. Still trying to figure out why we haven't heard about mass die offs of the homeless through this entire thing.

Here in my small town in Montana...population 850...I don't see fat kids. Maybe it's just different here: we don't have any fast food places, hunting/fishing/snowmobiling/ATVing...those are king here. I'm coaching a little league team with 16 kids and the only fat guy on the field is me. Man, it's like herding cats...those kids are everywhere! :l

Here the mask mandates have pretty much been an afterthought. Sure, we've got a few of the morons driving around, alone, wearing masks, but most folks have just rolled their eyes and gone on with life. Nothing here is shut down, except the bank lobbies last I checked, and it's been that way since last summer. Maybe it's just being in a small town, maybe it's the general rural Montana attitude of "stop flapping your lips because I'm going to do whatever I want anyway", I have no idea...but I'm loving it, and we are certainly not overrun with dead people.

All I know is here locally we're still a free people, kids and adults still go outside to have fun, and the ice just got off the local lake this week and it's time for me and the dog to get back out there on the boat and chase some trout. Here in our little hole in the wall life is good.:tu:tu

drahthaarducker likes this.