Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What’s the deal with black ducks?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Yes, I agree that it could become a slippery slope.....
    Personally it's never been an issue on any duck hunt that I've been on.
    So far.

markd likes this.
  2. Peakebrook

Peakebrook Senior Refuge Member

In CT, black-mallard hybrid are counted as blacks this year. With the limit of both birds set at two, this is actually a good thing. Most often blacks are a bonus bird around here. Should allow us to shoot an extra bird once in awhile, rather than just two mallards. Thank God that there are not many CO's around here to educate.

3. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

In my career as a state biologist, I've become friends with many possum cops. Ridden in their vehicles many times...as a guest, not a paying customer. I've seen many a copy of Richard LeMasters waterfowl identification book in many a squad. In the front is a bill chart, identifying the waterfowl by the length, width and color of the bill. Since many a game warden seemed to have a copy, I decided to spend the $12-15.00 for one. As it's waterproof, it's always in my blind bag. I've found it to be right on the money.
    If there is any question about what species or hybrid we got, throw it on the bill chart and go with that. Plus, in todays world with cell phone camera's, take a picture of the bird and beak on the bill chart and you got some grounds to fight a ticket, if need be.
    It might not help much between a mallard and black as the bills are about the same length/width; probably more useful in calling other questionable hybrids.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    rhpierce and mister gadwall like this.
  4. Killducks.com

Killducks.com Senior Refuge Member

For those that have never held one... yes a beautiful bird! Killed maybe 35 (2 banded) in 30 yrs of hunting west KY. I typically hunt small water creeks, ponds and backwater. Have a slough near here that holds a few year after year. Just after Christmas at least a pair will show up maybe up to a dozen. If left alone they will sit there for days. My son took his first last season B0E7B47F-BC51-4010-B507-C527BB5CA7F7.jpeg B0E7B47F-BC51-4010-B507-C527BB5CA7F7.jpeg B0E7B47F-BC51-4010-B507-C527BB5CA7F7.jpeg

DirtyMerg likes this.
  5. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

You guys should make threads like this more often. Back to back on black/mallard crosses 270C8DB4-6B6A-4C16-A513-C460BA8CFF5C.jpeg D37F6D3E-9D9D-480B-B52E-52F5D5A7E848.jpeg

stevena198301 and nobands like this.
  6. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

We dont see many . I've seen more in the spring, never had the opportunity to shoot one .
    I think they are pretty neat birds . I've killed most of the usual suspects ,but never a black or a drake redhead.
    Kid got one 10 years ago in a field ,said it was in with a hundred or so mallards. Said he picked it out on the first pass , stuck out like a sore thumb.

7. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

The ones we seen this weekend were mostly with mallards and they are pretty easy to pick out. There’s plenty of them that get killed up here but I’ve only been on this side of the state for 2 seasons now.

nobands likes this.
  8. GeorgiaDawg

GeorgiaDawg Senior Refuge Member

Back in the late 80s in central and wes Georgia we’d have about as many black ducks as mallards. Never many of either but killing a black duck wasn’t uncommon. I’d say they are akin to pintails when pressured and they get stale and stay put more than mallards. If they ain’t pressured and there is food they will spend the entire season on a beaver pond. We killed quite a few when those places would freeze up on COE impoundments. Sometimes more than mallards.

9. GeorgiaDawg

GeorgiaDawg Senior Refuge Member

Pintails aren’t wary if they aren’t pressured. In New Mexico there is almost no pressure on them in the eastern half of the state and they will decoy like teal when mallards circle and circle and circle some more.

In my experience Canvasbacks are like ALL diving ducks. Could care less about calling one way or the other but in LOVE with decoys. In Georgia and New Mexico canvasbacks are pretty common and they are no different than ring necks....if they see decoys they’re gonna swing and probably sit right down. You can wail on a call or leave it in the truck, makes no difference. They love decoys.

10. Anas rubripes

Anas rubripes Senior Refuge Member

Black Ducks are wary and beautiful ducks. They are held in high esteem imo
    because they are a symbol of the Atlantic Flyway and they are the duck that is actually supposed to be in the East. Mallards not so much. Blacks are a indicator species kinda like Brook Trout are in the Appalachians.