Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What’s the deal with black ducks?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Nov 6, 2020.

1. beretta buster

beretta buster New Member

We shoot black ducks from late October all the way through late January here in Southeast PA and quite frankly it never gets old. Whether it be an NJ or MD salt marsh or a smaller creek system in PA, it is forever satisfying to decoy them after 5-10 minutes of circling. As someone mentioned they are prone to rice breast but I've had good eating Black Ducks from just about everywhere up and down the coast. Last year we had a terrible duck season in our part of the Atlantic Flyway, if it wasn't for prolific black duck numbers and the increase to 2 per day we wouldn't have had much a season at all. Late season red legged drakes are beautiful, especially contrasted against a backdrop of snow or clear and cold blue skies.

This drake came straight through the timber like a mallard during early season last year, banded in New Brunswick 5 years prior.
    75446769_10100152814271571_8827244540264972288_n.jpg

2. sharkman

sharkman Elite Refuge Member

One of the most beautiful ducks I think, we get a few in N.E. Indiana.
    20201110_074541.jpg 20201110_074554.jpg 20201110_074439.jpg

Out of focus likes this.
  3. GrayGhostSafaris

GrayGhostSafaris Refuge Member

They do appear to be declining in my area as we used to see them often in TN, but over the years not so much. The last one I took was in the Boston area. He worked into a string of Scoter decoys.

4. Gene

Gene Senior Refuge Member

When I moved to central Calif. and was hunting Kesterson refuge the big thing was the Red Head?? I had moved here from So. Cal and always hunted the opener at Baldwin lake {{ before it was treated as a refuge }} and the first two ducks of the opener were always Red Heads.
    There they were the norm, up here the rarity.
    As I recall the Blacks are a diver? It's been a while since I last read about them.
    Same thing with Cinnamon and Blue Wing Teal? Some seasons I had stringers full of them, other seasons none at all?
    Canvasbacks are rare here too.

5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Really??? :scratch
    Man I hope you are trolling...

buck_master_2001 and Allan like this.
  6. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

My gosh, no. They are a dabbler and great on the table over most of their range.

7. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

We saw and shoot a lot in the 70s and 80s. Last one I got was about 1990. A friend who still duck hunts some says he has seen more lately.

8. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

BDM.. The are shy and reclusive ducks. Shot many in North Alabama swamps and backwaters in the 70's and 80'. See very few in Al and AR now. According to AL state biologist there is a area here that is a staging area for black duck breeding groups to stage / pair and migrate.

9. duckbuster2

duckbuster2 Senior Refuge Member

I love shooting Blacks the most out of any duck.I have been hunting Saginaw Bay for over 50+ years and all I use are Black Duck decoys since about 1969. decoys.jpg mallards_1.jpg

Out of focus likes this.
  10. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

Funny reminds me of stories my dad told me about his dog training buddy back in the day. Guys dead now but back when md had a points system he’d shoot every black duck that came in. Was obsessed with em to the point he’d set a spread n go 80 yards down wind n sit just to shoot blacks. My dad always says it’s amazing he never got caught.