What a difference a bullet makes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by The Other David, Aug 11, 2019.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Dont give up on the bullet yet. My Ruger m77 in 30-06 is a picky gun. Ive had a few loads where i had to run from the starting charge up to maximum in small increments until i hit a sweet spot and the groups shrunk dramatically. Ive had decent luck with H4350 powder. My buddy who is a 308 guy swears by varget. I will be trying that next. Ive had my best luck so far with hornady bullets h4350 powder and remington cases. My gun also likes quite a bit of jump as well. It doesnt like the bullet close to the lands.

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

I,ve had an interarms w/26" barrel 06 several years ago that loved Winchester soft tip 110 grain. Shot 150 powerpoints alright but loved those 110,s. Have a 22" barreled mauser actioned sporter now that belonged to my father. He always shot 150 powerpoints in it and when he passed I inherited it and started handloading 130 gr. hp in it. Way more accurate than the 150,s he shot. Now I ld 125 grn. Ballistic tips and it will keep 5 under 1". Just goes to show you those ol o6,s can like a wide range of bullets not traditionaly thought of as a recommended bullet weight for them. Those 125,s by the way are great deer killers. Actually so were those 110,s.

3. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I'd shoot the 150's.

Caribou don't strike me as particularly stout ungulates.

widgeon and payton like this.
  4. payton

payton Senior Refuge Member

Don't get to hung up on premium bullets, I mean if you can find one that shoots well by all means, use that bullet. I think ammo companies push the new and best thing ideas every fall to increase sales. The bottom line for me is a bullet that goes exactly where I point my rifle. That instills confidence and kills game. Anytime you second guess your shot because you are unsure of the outcome, your in trouble. If a bullet can make it to or though a Caribou's heart and lungs, he is going to die. I don't care how good a bullet is or what celebrity use's it, if you place a bullet in the wrong end, you'll probably loose the animal. Well placed cheap bullets will kill better than premium bullets being sprayed down range. Don't get me wrong, I like good quality bullets (Barnes TTSX, Nosler Partitions, Speer Grand Slams)but have seen a lot of game harvested with cheap stuff. Shot placement is everything. The Alaskan Inuit's use 22 Hornet's to kill Caribou, so I think your 150gr. 30/06 will be fine.

5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Core Lokts (I like 165gr) have always patterned fine for me, and the price is right at $20 a box. 2” group at 200 yards is plenty good enough for a hunting rifle. Never had one run off either when he’s hit in the right place.

Allan, widger and Vahunter like this.
  6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If anything I'd try standard 180 grain bullet loads and see how they do, model 70's in 30-06 always had a 1-10 rate of twist.
    A box of standard Remington Cor Lokts 180 grainers may open they eyes real fast on this one. I've seen plenty of 06's that would shoot 150 grain bullets well then not stabilize them again till 180 grain or heavier bullets were used.

Vahunter likes this.
  7. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Never realized. You'd think a heavier bullet needs a faster twist....

8. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

well... a Featherweight is going to have a skimpy barrel. When you're shooting for groups, you may need to let the barrel cool between shots.
    Don't know what your twist rate is; the rifle just may not like heavier bullets.......

9. 10GAGENUT

Velocity and bullet weight play big roles, you need a faster twist for lightweight high velocity .22 caliber bullets so you can have some control over a speed demon load. Heavier bullets usually aren't traveling as fast so they are given a slower twist, which keeps them under control. Basically from my uneducated understanding heavier bullets are usually easier to stabilize than lighter weight bullets. The old .220 Swift was one of those, some guys did get the super light 40 grainers to stabilizer in the guns but once they started pushing them over 4000 fps all bets were off, some guns did stabilize them and some didn't. Figure any bullet traveling at even 3900 fps is a speed demon.

10. 10GAGENUT

Just saw the new post, all 30-06 Model 70's even pre 64 had a 1-10 twist rate on them. Not sure if the lighter barrel would do anything or not, I know my old 22-250 model 700, that I stupidly sold off years ago, was the BDL model with the heavy varmint barrel. The joke was no Ground Hog was safe when I shot that gun, about right to.