Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What are some of the best things you found on the side of the road?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

A double banded pigeon, a Canada goose I had helped band ( a year after she was banded...same area she was banded), 3 shotguns in one pile (at a boat ramp. The owners were located), a wallet (returned), stolen purses.

ARHHH4, riverrat47 and auto5 like this.
  2. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

The browning found reminded me of a event from shooting league sporting clays. A guy shooting on the team in front of us left his shotgun in the rack and walked to the next station not once, but 3 times. He was shooting a Kreighoff K-80 vintage Scroll Pro-Sporter! I made him buy the team a round of beer AND let me shoot a round of clays with it before I would give it back. He was very obliging and it really shot SWEET!!

3. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Oh yeah forgot about this , last May was driving home from mushroom hunting. Hit a small town so slowed down.

As I roll through see what I think is a wallet middle of the dang road.

Pull over , it’s a gals wallet. What I did next was honest but I should have just went to her address, same small town.

However being such a small town I headed to the greasy spoon I’m familiar with and asked the locals.
    One guy says she’s my neighbor offers to take to her and I obliged.

Later I googled more and somehow found the gals work email. We exchanged some messages

What I got from it was an accusation of stealing $100 bill. I didn’t even count the money.

Mind you I purposely didn’t rifle through any more than needed and actually put belongings back inside that’d fallen out.

She’d dropped the wallet walking home from the same greasy spoon I went to

4. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

I also found 4 boxes of 3” Hevishot. Tried to find the rightful owner but never did. Ended up shooting them.

5. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

No good deed goes unpunished! When I was 14 was at a campground and found a wallet with several hundred dollars. Found the owner and returned. He was drunk and yelled, “hell I didn’t even know I lost it”! No thanks, no go to hell, nothing. Oh well.

auto5 likes this.
  6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Picked up a 12' aluminum ladder and a bag of 6 flambeau goose floats. Wasn't enough to off set the 2 dozen G&H swivel head mallards, new w/ texas rigging that blew out of my boat.
    Been other times I've seen interesting stuff on the side of the road but didn't feel safe stopping to investigate.

7. rmb79

rmb79 Elite Refuge Member

Found a Rolex on our local golf course when I was 20. It was returned to the owner.

Squaller, auto5 and ripline like this.
  8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Back in college... Hot chick hitchin' a ride (the way she flagged us down, we though something was wrong, but she just wanted a ride). Hunting the back roads with a friend, and she jumped right in, sat in the middle of a bench-seat mini-truck, right between our guns. Never questioned a thing... Wonder if she is still alive?

Picked up a guy with one of those "will work for food" signs... Asked if he was serious, and he said yep. Guy was an ox, and a tremendously hard worker, and helped us move (thinking he was going to get a hamburger). We paid him $50 (which was quite a bit back then) and got him a good meal with some beer. I turned some other fraternities and sororities on to him, who then turned some other businesses on to him, and he made a few bucks, and got back on his feet. Got a job and a place to live. Always felt nice about that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  9. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I’m pretty sure @Grif found some wild parsnips somewhere between St. Louis and the shindig. Those sound pretty cool

Vammy, WindInHisHair, Banded1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I still ain't convinced those boys weren't forking with me.....rash or not. :l