California Flyway Forum Sponsors

What are you doing different next season?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Big Daddy Gaddy, Mar 30, 2021.

1. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Mostly the samo samo here...but I am looking forward to only hunting one dog from my blind this year. Having my dog and my Partner's dog was a bit of a headache a LOT of the time. I like sleeping in at duck camp, roll out to the blind and shooting some birds once in awhile.

I'm glad to be part of the golden age of shooting specks, can't get enough of them. I've been on a duck club with well water, so water has never been an issue.

My duck boat has been parked the last several duck seasons, but I still get a lot of fishing time with her during spring/summer.

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Keep fooling around and you won't be able to apply for out if state.....

3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Shoot more specks, shoot more cans, hunt upland more. Try and shoot 2-3 swans depending on how tags I can get. Hunt early teal in Nebraska, try and shoot a deer with a crossbow while I'm back there and potentially an antelope. Try and shoot the two prairie grouse for my species. Hunt with a buddy I haven't had a chance to hunt with since 2015.

4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Paint and hunt the 100 SuperMags I lucked into :dv:dv:flame

Next year is all about my son. Hopefully we’ll draw the JR NE opener. I put him in for CO & WY Elk, Deer & Goats. I’ll do the same for CA. We may do a UT cow Elk trip if draws don’t work out.

Staying at my club & hoping the ducks show up this year. I’ll definitely be spending more time on refuges & the boat getting him out every day possible. We’ll go scout pre season & look at some new refuges and places to hunt.

I’m going to invest in more Bismuth for the 20ga and shoot it most of the time. I’ve really grown to love it.

Figure out how to operate a spec call or give up on it all together.

Dial in my lightweight decoy rig for walk in areas.

I’m open to taking an out of state trip if the right opportunity presents itself.

Get dope on my rifle to 800 & get my son as much trigger time as possible this off season.

5. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

check out LifeTime decoys for lite weight rig..

6. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

Got a new hunting partner, and he appears to be a good one. Basic OB training has gone well so far. It will be nice to hunt with my own retriever again. Been a couple of years.

I am going to work on a remote sit, and add that to the training regiment. I have never done that before, but see a lot of advantages.

7. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

I may have used the wrong terminology here. Not talking about whistle blast instant sitting (stop to the whistle).

By remote, I meant having the dog about 25 yards from the blind sitting or laying down. I think Fish Dog first posted it as I recall.

8. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

I think you'll love it. I got lucky my dog doesn't mind being 25 yards away at all and now I can even vocally tell him to go to his remote place and he will sit and get down. Sometimes I have to adjust his cover to camo him in. Its safer, better for their ears and I think they get better marks on birds.

have a couple buddies who have tried it tho and their dogs DO NOT like it. They want to be next to their dad. I guess mine is antisocial LOL. fine with me!

9. candafish

candafish Senior Refuge Member

I was thinking about getting into a rice blind this year with the daughter. i just wanted a safe controlled environment to be able to take her. It seems like the refuges are getting worse every season with unethical hunters. But with the water cutbacks i am not sure now, not sure i want to shell out a bunch of money for a dry field blind and decoys. I do have a bunch of points in nevada i would like to cash in and if that happens it will be a all in deal. Work with the kid on her shooting and work with the pup.

10. snipe a duck

snipe a duck Elite Refuge Member

Put more focus into geese than ducks. Unless next year is different than last year i will make drastic changes for the 22/23 season.

7pntail likes this.