What B's have it.

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, Oct 4, 2020.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

I went hunting a little yesterday afternoon, and got to shoot my first 3 inch reload. One lone honker came in and I took his bill off with 1-1/4 oz. of steel B's :l That one had a little more bite to it than has the bismuth from ITX shells I've been shooting. Used the SBE and factory modified choke.
    I found the load on the Alliant Steel powder reloading page:
    3" Fed. hull (.090 base)
    Fed. 209A primer
    36 grains Steel powder
    Reloading Specialties 12 gauge 3" steel wad
    1-1/4 oz steel B's
    I think I put for splits in the wad
    1430 fps
    10,500 pressure

2. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

That looks like a good load. I got some fiber inner base wad hulls looking for a good recipe.
    No overshot card?

3. magnumyammerhammer

No overshot cards no undershot spacers. You should look at their website I think they got some recipes for fiber based hulls, too.
    Just google Alliant Steel powder recipes.

4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Hi guys. I reloaded lead but was long ago using a cheap lee load all.
    Should a guy who has that even consider packing his own tss ?
    If so would you all mind trying to teach a 14 yr old to load waterfowl loads with tss? Im talking about me.
    I'm not in a hurry. By next season would be great.
    Help a guy get restarted?

My old load was from the Lee book. Pamphlet?
    Was the highest powered one. Blue dot powder.
    To do waterfowl loads capable of use in 0F i have to redo everything I get that. Help me select a load for 2.75 inch shells loaded with tss.
    If i could get 1400 fps id be happy.
    I dont know where to start. If its buy another loader...im out. Thanks.

I'm not actually 14 but in my head I'm 14.
    Its called arrested development.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Oh yeah those B's ? I've used a great many of them , some 75 to 90 DBH's and others right out of the Crossman bottle !
    Most were just out of a Rio / ched hull with 465 grs with a TPS 1265 or Sam 1 ! The sound they make when they hit feathers is awesome and they can
    be very effective , even tho these are a little light on payload , choked properly in my gun , they'll hammer a Spec or Snow out a considerable distance !
    I much prefer inside the decoys but going away birds , these B's will definitely turn them into a Cartwheel .

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

PM JP on this forum. He has experience with handloaded TSS.

7. magnumyammerhammer

I load all my shells on a Lee Load All. Bought a 12 gauge and then just bought a 16 and 20 gauge heads to change out. I weigh everything so really all I need is the wad starter and the crimpers. It's worked out pretty good so far.

8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Oh have we (reloaders) come a long way from using Blu dot , today we have "A Steel" powder made by Alliant powder Co. !
    There are some loads on their site on the web But , better info can be had from RSI (Reloaders Specialities Inc) in their manual along with BPI ( Ballistic
    Products Inc) ! As far as what you prefer to load with , your Load All will do a fine job but most of us have moved on to Mec's , SteelMasters , 600 Jrs
    and Size Masters seem to be leaders in machines . Bring yourself up to date with the free pamphlets on components from these Companies along with
    info on this forums archives !
    Oh and welcome to a bunch of really Great Fellas , who are always willing to help !