What did you get out of last season

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by utduckguy32, Feb 2, 2010.

1. utduckguy32

utduckguy32 Senior Refuge Member

I just wanted to share a few thought about this last season.It wasnt that great for me as far as birds but the thing I got most out of it was watching my buddys son go on his first duck hunt on the youth hunt and seeing his face when he killed his first duck, taking my young boys out a few times and spending time with them,getting to know a couple of great guys out at my club and hunting with them,also learning more about the sport I love and some new tatics and learning how to hunt geese on the ice for the first time.

Also I would like the thank the guys who post there pics and reports,I have to live alot of my hunting thru you guys becasue of family and running my bussiness,It was awsome to see Diverfreak go on his dream trip and reading about that once in a lifetime event.

Anyways those were a few thoughts I had and can't wait for next season!:tu

2. tealfinder

tealfinder Senior Refuge Member

Well said, that's what it's all about.

3. 10GAUGE19

10GAUGE19 Elite Refuge Member

What did I get out of last season??...I remembered that I live in the wrong state for waterfowl hunting!!! :mad::doh It's so hard to hunt out of state and then come back to Utah. It just amazes me how many birds there are in some of the states that are just out our backdoor. You see all the farm land and open water and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see why the birds don't migrate down into Utah like they used to.

On a brighter note...I did enjoy another hunting season with my best friend. I've hunted with a lot of guys over the years and it's great to finally hunt with someone who has the same passion for waterfowl hunting that I do. Thanks Darren for putting up with me for another season!! I will never forget the opening weekend at the Lakeview Motel...:dv:tu

4. MDJ

MDJ Senior Refuge Member

10GAUGE19 - I travelled to Utah from Iowa, and found it damn near impossible to come back to the Midwest after that! You folks out there sometimes don't realize what you have in terms of incredible waterfowling -

Swans, cinnamon teal, drake goldeneyes, grey ducks, mallards! Bowed-up sprig coming into the layout boats. My first airboat ride. Traditional coffin blinds on the GSL. Fantastic people, new friends, cold beer, Jack Daniels, excellent sushi. Oh, yeah - and it IS possible to kill Canadas west of the Interstate. All you gotta do is ask!

Thanks again to Josh (Avery Outdoors), Tony (Lake Bonneville Layout Boats), Tyson (Waterfowl Addiction), Rob, Spencer, and The Stone Boy (Jack Links Beef Jerky Pro-Staffer) for a great adventure. Utah is on our list for 2010 - you better believe it! - M.D.

5. surf n' turf

surf n' turf Senior Refuge Member

I will have to echo this statement, I grew up on the chesapeake bay and have hunted all across the country, but utah is pretty hard to beat in tems of public access and variety of species. I would be hard pressed to to as well as I do here back in maryland. Now geese are a different story, but the duck hunting is amazing.

With that said I got a lot out of this season. I watched my young lab blossom in to a fantastic little gun dog. I got to hunt over my hand carved blocks. I got to spend over 60 days in the field and I got to hunt with good friends and make lots of memories....so yeah, it was a great season:tu

6. Love-to-hunt

Love-to-hunt Elite Refuge Member

Now that right there makes your mind wander...:l You left yourself wide open on that one Matt.

From this past season I know I need to get out to my club more than 5 times, that makes for some expensive dues.

7. Josh Noble

Josh Noble Senior Refuge Member

The best quote from that trip...
    "I have to be honest that was pretty (&(# weird"!!!!

8. MDJ

MDJ Senior Refuge Member

The "***** wierd..." comment was a killer. Also -

RING!

Me - "Hey, I hate to ask this, but can you shoot Canadas over here?"
    You - "Yes!"
    Me - "Okay. Thanks..."

CLICK

9. Josh Noble

Josh Noble Senior Refuge Member

(a second or two passes) BOOM!!

lol...great stuff!!!

10. DiverFreak

DiverFreak Elite Refuge Member

That was an all time favorite!

Lets see, what did i get out of this season?

Where do i start, 80+ hours on my mudd motor, 17 decoys with new bb holes in them to add to the 20 i already fixed the previous season, 15,000+ pictures downloaded to my hard drive, hands and fingers that are dried out cracking and still bleeding, a broken axle, enough duck jerky to feed and army"Army of two that is, Spencer and Stone, already gone"! I went from 8 cases of shotgun shells to 0. 2000+ miles added to the old ford, No sleep, 2 pair of waders which both now have holes, 3 new pair of blue rubberised gloves, 2 new fish nets which are now broke, A great sun tan on my bald head and face, a few more grey hairs, 23 different species of waterfowl, a pair of reindeer antlers and a hide for stone, some rare birds for mounting, 80+ quality hunts on wma's or state property,hunted with old friends, hunted with over 50 different people, got to see some firsts for my sons, friends sons and other waterfowlers, introduced a few guys to waterfowling, made a dozen or so new friends, made a couple of enemys, learned a whole bunch about waterfowling that i never new, seen some good sunsets as well as a few sunrises, had some cold days as well as some warm ones. Got a few duck bands and a couple of goose bands. Got blown of the lake" THE STRAIGHTS OF JERUMBALDY", got to show my appreciation to americas finest, loaned out decoys, layouts and advice,Got to hunt some old property along the lake as well as some new, shot a dozen or so tripples on ducks, shot alot of triples for no ducks, got a few guys there swans, shot less coots this year than last.Got to hunt the Bering sea and see it ats its worst and best. The most important thing i got out of this season" Besides sharing it with my boys", is this. I AM JUST AS GIDDY TO HUNT WATERFOWL AS I WAS WHEN I WAS 12! I look forward to next season and doing it all over again!

DiverFreak