What do you think about shooting earplugs for part-time hearing aids?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Mudbug, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Mudbug

Mudbug Senior Refuge Member

When they worked they were great.
    I was very comfortable with them in all day, working, and playing.
    The Compression worked perfectly. I could still hear the noise, in the event there was a problem and I could hear people talking easaly. Very nice. They dropped the gun blast down to safe levels.
    The only problem was their crappy. I had them into the shop 3 times there was more travel time on them back and forth than time used. I'm looking for some others that compress the sounds.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

E.A.R. out of Bolder , Colorado is what you need . Other than Sport Ear , I believe are the only ones that Depress Gun reports low enough to not
    harm your hearing but do have a enhanced hearing aid for more volume ! You might want to Check with Your insurance and see "IF" they're covered ?

3. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'm betting those of you with loss of a specific range of hearing will find them maddening to wear for general use. My experience with similar devices is they enhance ALL sound. Get the volume high enough to hear those you have trouble with and the other stuff is overwhelming.

Can't recall the make, but I saw some at the last in person SHOT Show which were supposedly tuned for your individual hearing, but they were as high as good hearing aids.

4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'm kind of a thin-skinned punk and am sorry about yall getting triggered about my choice on ear protection or not. Hurt feelings reports available upon request.
    :)

5. Ravenanme

I suppose you're right , these hearing protectors I'm talking about run around $1200. and Hearing Aids are north of $2000-$6000. !
    But even the more costly Hearing Aids don't suppress the Loud reports of firearms , like the ones built for doing so ! From what I have learned
    Ear Plugs or any type hearing protection needs to be able to reduce loud noises down to 95 dB or be 29 CFR rated .
    Even foam Ear Plugs are better than nothing but under Good Muffs , they work surprisingly well !
    Don't be a fool , wear hearing protection !

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I wear mine turkey hunting, but not for any other hunting or shooting. They don't amplify the shot, but they do virtually nothing to suppress it.

7. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Just a thought:

I believe many hearing aids DO have a noise threshold/shutoff for dangerously loud stuff….they just don’t have a plug/insert that physically suppresses harmful noise entering your ear. If those two things are true, a second set of ear ‘plugs’ of foam/custom fitted ‘tips’ for a hearing aid, could just be swapped in for hunting/shooting, and removed for every day wear comfort?

Good question for an audiologist, I’d think.

Cumulative loud noises do their damage, but a singular, BIG thing can put you in the large, HF loss category instantly. That’s where I’m at.

8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The thing I encountered was how safety is not exactly that safe. Suppose you're a little sensitive to wearing safety Goggles and a shield. I can deal with it. No problem. Ear protection adds to the bubble effect. You're inside your safe little bubble protected. Now throw in a 40-foot extension ladder and sheets of plywood going up by hand.
    You might miss when that guy way up there yells look out because he just lost a sheet. Sorry im just being pragmatic

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

You’re assuming they’d tell YOU, anyway.

Wear a helmet.

Tuleman likes this.
  10. Ravenanme

Maybe utilizing a rope to raise plywood would be a better option ? I would say anyone who has any experience going up a 40 ft extension ladder
    knows it's ratings are for people , ONLY !

Tuleman likes this.