Decoy Forum Sponsors

What Does A Goose Process About Decoys

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Thinblueline, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Being in an area with birds is useless if you have six people and two dogs sitting without cover on the edge of the spread.
    It's also 99% useless if you have no decoys.
    Location is the FIRST thing. It is not the ONLY thing....

JP, Spencer5100 and callinfowl like this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I've killed plenty of birds standing in the decoys talking with friends.
    So I'm sticking with my original post.
    And why would you even set decoys if there weren't birds in the area, that's stupid.:yes:yes:yes

3. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

DUH!!!!
    Only you would ask such a stupid question.

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

This I agree with

5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

Very well put D....:tu

callinfowl likes this.
  6. Tuleman

But that's not how you normally hunt them, is it. And why would that not be the norm?

And would YOU hunt geese without decoys?
    Nobody else would either, unless they were just hoping for targets of opportunity (pass shooting).
    The way MOST of us hunt geese, if you omit any of the important parts of a hunt.....location, time, decoys, calling, shooting skills, concealment, etc.....you reduce your chances of success to effectively zero. None of those parts are critical to the exclusion of every other part.
    Omit any one of those components, and your chances of success drop dramatically. This means each is as important as any of the others.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

None of it means anything unless you are in the right "location".
    Meaning where there are birds.........how hard is that to understand?:scratch:scratch:scratch

8. Tuleman

No one is arguing that.
    What you are failing to see (or at least admit) is that you have to do more than just be in the right location to kill geese consistently.
    You have not realized that yet?

As I said earlier, location is the first thing to consider, but it is far from the only thing.

9. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Oh no,they do tell you,you just aren't listening.
    You convinced me that location and hide are much more important than decoys ,but I contend you have to make decoys just as important.I watch geese all year round and they do certain things as the season progresses and a savvy hunter can take advantage of this. The last couple weeks we have only used about 30 decoys but make sure we put 8 or so distinct pairs.It works
    The month before the geese would always be in different groups sometimes as many as 4 groups in one field.It was tough trying to keep 3or 4 groups of decoys in range but if you have the right wind you can do it.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I have many, many photos and friends that I've hunted with from these forums that would prove that I don't fail to see this.

I'm fairly sure most people on this forum understand this already, without going into splitting hairs. (then again maybe not).:l:l:l