What I have seen......

Discussion in 'Mississippi Flyway Forum' started by GulfCoast, Nov 25, 2019.

1. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

So, I have spent the last 4 weekends driving around the north Delta, working on our water control structures, building blinds, dressing out blinds, ignoring decoys that need cleaning/sorting, and looking here and there. What I have seen:
    1) Less water impounded in fields than normal in my area, I supposed people are waiting on the rain. I think there are 3 days of rain this week, but not heavy like last Friday;
    2) Lots of specks, decent numbers of snows, a double-handful of honkers and a half-dozen cranes (I know you can't shoot them, settle down kids). Seems to me that the specks are here early. Good for them. I hope they hang around. I have become a big fan of specks.
    3) More big ducks than last year, but not as many as I am used to seeing on a year where "we get 'em early." Still, very happy with what I see compared to last year; and
    4) Mr. Green Jeans has been out and about and very visible. Tag them birds, boys! ;)

So, good luck to everyone as duck season rolls up this week. Be safe, and try not to pick on the OOSers (excessively).

Jason Kingery likes this.
  2. teul2

teul2 Senior Refuge Member

Specs are late to my liking from 3 years ago. But we've seen some. just not as many as I'd like. Areal survey shows the mass number in your area or just west of you. Just hope they don't all book it out after Friday like the last 2 years.

3. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

We have a good opening day. After it warmed up the ducks moved out and the skeeters moved in. Bring on some COLD weather!

Jason Kingery and Rebranger like this.