What is a good pattern % at 40yds?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by MNBucksNDucks, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I agree with above nothing wrong with xperts if your shooting in the decoys... I'd buy fiocchi or xperts over speed shoks... I know some people swear by speed shoks... but I never tried em personally just always got good patterns with Kent's so I just stick with kents... I just hope the new kent 2.0 patterns similar to the regular Kent's an kent silversteel cause that's all I shoot

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'd give the Experts a try at decoying ranges there's nothing wrong with them and I've seen plenty of ducks killed with Experts. People who knock Experts usually don't know much about ammunition and just think the cast shot used in them is not any good.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

And there lies the difference between you and I.

There is no shame in passing up a shot. I don't think it would ruin my season if I brought home one less goose that day, or a few more that season.

Oh, I agree.
    At what range are you shooting 60+% patterns? 50 yards? Because that is when BB's come into play. 1's would serve you just fine at that range, and you could put about 30 more pellets into the air and about 20 more into the 30" circle, which is about a 25% increase.

And there are 129 #1 pellets in the same size load. About a 40% increase.

I get that you like BB's. I am not here to make you change your pellet size. My posts are for the lurkers out there, presenting another 'opinion'. I believe in pattern density, with enough energy to get to the vitals. I see no need in using a pellet that goes through the bird and flies another 40 yards beyond.

As you stated, if you misjudge the yardage, your pellet may or may not have enough energy to get to the heart/lung. But they do have enough energy to get to the brain and neck.

And, if all you are talking about is going away shots, well, I can't help with that. I fill my chamber with shells that kill incoming and crossing birds. I'll pass on the pure going away shot. (Another reason I use an O/U)

4. MNBucksNDucks

MNBucksNDucks Refuge Member

Thanks for the quick replies! I have a half box of Fiocchi Steel max 3" 1 1/5oz 1500fps #3's (Scheels exclusive) and a full box of the same but in BB that Ill be able to try out. Ill have to get a box of both BB and 3's in Xpert and give them a try too. Would you go as far to say the Fiocchis have higher quality components than the Xperts? Also how about that CSB wad with BB compared to the thick wad of the Xpert?

I'm gonna stay away from the speed shoks as of now unless the above shells dont pattern well due to the fact that I would definitely spray out my gun after a hunt but being I'm 5 hrs away from home at college, I dont have the luxury of having an air compressor in my apartment as I do in our shed.

I can get both the fiocchi and Xperts for nearly identical price and both are readily available here at home or up at school at scheels.

ronaldo likes this.
  5. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

MN -- You've gotten some good advice from the other posters and I'm glad you are shooting some patterns to try and find a load/choke combo that will work for your shooting.

Here are some of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with some of the loads you mentioned.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge 3-inch Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

40 YARDS IC (.009" const.)
    Federal Speed-Shok (old) 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (186 pellets) pattern 112 (60%)
    Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (193 pellets) pattern 113 (59%)
    Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (195 pellets) pattern 109 (56%)

Federal Speed-Shok (old) 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 92 (60%)
    Fiocchi Golden 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (156 pellets) pattern 86 (55%)
    Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (155 pellets) pattern 88 (57%)
    Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) pattern 76 (50%)
    Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) pattern 76 (52%)

40 YARDS Mod. (.018" const.)
    Federal Speed-Shok (old) 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (186 pellets) pattern 128 (69%)
    Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (193 pellets) pattern 146 (76%)
    Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (195 pellets) pattern 131 (67%)

Federal Speed-Shok (old) 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 115 (75%)
    Fiocchi Golden 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (156 pellets) pattern 115 (74%)
    Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (155 pellets) pattern 103 (66%)
    Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) pattern 110 (72%)
    Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) pattern 106 (73%)

40 YARDS Full (.037" const.)
    Federal Speed-Shok (old) 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (186 pellets) pattern 141 (76%)
    Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (193 pellets) pattern 150 (78%)
    Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #3 steel (195 pellets) pattern 154 (79%)

Federal Speed-Shok (old) 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (154 pellets) pattern 118 (77%)
    Fiocchi Golden 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (156 pellets) pattern 123 (79%)
    Kent Fasteel 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (155 pellets) pattern 116 (75%)
    Remington Sportsman 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (152 pellets) pattern 117 (77%)
    Winchester Xpert 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) pattern 118 (81%)

Remember, percentages measure load and choke "efficiency" not "effectiveness!"

Effective patterns include:
    1) Sufficient Pattern Density -- Enough pellet strikes in the 30-inch pattern to reliably hit the vital areas (brain, spinal cord, heart or lungs) at the distance shot.
    2) Adequate Pellet Energy -- Correct pellet size and mass to retain enough per-pellet energy to penetrate the vital areas at the distance shot.
    3) Proper Choke -- Enough choke to maintain adequate pattern density for the bird size/type at the distance shot.

Good luck!

6. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Refuge Member

I choose to use goose loads that will kill going away geese because even if the geese decoy within 15 to 20 yards and the wind is blowing they can turn and start going away quickly. For shooting big geese going away steel BB shot will penetrate much deeper than steel #1 or #2 shot will. The patterns will be dense enough with steel #2, #1 and steel BB shot. But the steel BB shot will penetrate deeper and get the job done when steel #1 or #2 shot may not or can't get the job done.

I fill my shotgun with loads that will cleanly kill geese no matter which way they are flying.

This is not what I stated.
    As you stated, if you misjudge the yardage, your pellet may or may not have enough energy to get to the heart/lung. But they do have enough energy to get to the brain and neck.

I stated when shooting ducks, geese and coyotes with a shotgun I want pellets that will get more penetration than I need when the shots are perfect. I don't want to cripple them if the shot angle isn't perfect or if I misjudge the distance by 10 yards.

That means if I misjudge the distance by 10 yards the loads I am using will still get the penetration needed to get the job done.

Out of focus, Drake91 and 5 stand like this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Ok

8. tonedef89

tonedef89 New Member

The Fiocchi shells you keep talking might be a Scheel's exclusive but they are essentially Fiocchi Warlock's that have been discussed here plenty. You can buy them by the case at Roger's. I have been shooting the 3's for a number of years and will continue to do so.

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Cast ? I wouldn't know but I've shot maybe 15 bottles of Airgun BB's......Hehee
    With 34 gr under a Sam 1 and one ounce of .177's they'll go clear through a Spec at 40 yds , some shots I've made with these (going away , could possibly
    go into the record book ! I have seen no damage to one of my stock 870 barrels / fixed Mod choke with this light load , using a good wad like the Sam 1 .

derbyacresbob likes this.
  10. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

The debate between pellet energy and pattern density. For my preference, I like BBB for geese. They hold together quite well in my gun farther than I like to shoot and seem to punch clean through geese at the ranges I shoot them. For geese i prefer pellets that pass through the bird. Ive killed several geese as far as 30 yards with steel 6s while dove hunting during early goose with head and neck hits. That doesnt make them ideal for geese. Ive killed plenty with 3s and 4s while duck hunting. Still, if geese are the target I will run my tried and true 1.5oz load of BBB. Plenty of pattern density and more than enough energy for my shooting needs.