What is a good pattern % at 40yds?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by MNBucksNDucks, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

Those Fiocchi’s chrono out at 1400fps not the 1550 they advertise.

10GAGENUT likes this.
  2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I'm sure fellas like JohnBZ have had success with large sizes of steel shot , the only thing from my past experience is , pattern density can be had with
    lighter 1 oz and 1 1/16 oz loads as well , by utilizing a choke constriction that will keep those larger pellets together ! In my 1oz loads , sure there's only
    87 pellets in the 1 oz load but with it being a lighter load I'm able to gain more velosity which keeps the shot more in the pattern at longer distances .
    Same goes for my 1 1/16 oz loads of #1's those 108 pellets stay together out around 50 yds so on larger birds such as Mallards and Med Geese ,they can
    be in my wheelhouse "IF" I'm shooting well that day . Keep in mind , these loads are out of a 2 3/4" hull perferably straightwalled !
    The other thing is , these loads don't bring tears to my eyes with recoil so, I think they are a big advantage on my second and thrid shots !

10GAGENUT likes this.
  3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Yes Sir why the shot looks ugly it's cast instead of formed under pressure like very round nice looking steel shot, what RSI has been selling as the IndiCast shot for years.
    Just a lot cheaper to produce cast shot, for decoying ranges there's nothing wrong wit it and why Winchester cans ell the Expert loads so cheap.
    Air gun BB's are made the same way regular steel shot and ball bearing are under tons of pressure in a forming machine, cast shot is just what the name implies, steel that's cast in a mold.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

When using this CAST shot , one has to be wise to a payload that will stay in the Shotcup and use a Sam 1 , TPS or MM style wad as this shot hasn't been
    annealed (Soften) ! The DPH of Cast shot can be as high as 150+ DPH , while the steel shot made for reloading or Waterfowl loads , is annealed to 75 to 90
    DPH . The fun part of using steel shot is it likes velosity , flies straight and stays in a shorter shot string within normal target distances (45/50 yds) but you
    still have to use a shot size that will give you the penetration the birds size requirers Plus , time on the pattern board for each load . Also the understanding
    that ONE ounce of steel shot ( Volumetrically ) equals 1 3/8 oz of lead with the same pellet size !