What is the most exotic restaurant you've eaten at?

PaulinKansas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
For me, it's a place called "The Carnivore" in Nairobi Kenya. I went there with a group of strangers to climb Mt Kilimanjaro, which we did. After the climb we got to hang out in Nairobi for a few days before flying back to the states.

"The Carnivore" has a professional hunter that harvests random wild game from the African prairies. Their daily menu changes upon whatever the hunter brought back to the restaurant. That night they were serving hartebeast. There was a big open fire in the middle of the restaurant and the leg quarters were on a spit. The chef would slice off pieces of meat and plate it for you when you went through the line. A dress coat was mandatory to enter, but not a tie.

The hartebeest (/ˈhɑːrtəˌbiːst/; Alcelaphus buselaphus), also known as kongoni, is an African antelope. Eight subspecies have been described, including two sometimes considered to be independent species.

images

Let's hear your story.

KAHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Pier one in Freeport, Grand Bahama Island. Feed the sharks every 15 minutes or so. Cool to watch bull sharks going crazy while you eat. Was really cool when it got dark and the lights from the port would backlight shark fins swimming back and forth.

Steve Borgwald

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
For me, it's a place called "The Carnivore" in Nairobi Kenya. I went there with a group of strangers to climb Mt Kilimanjaro, which we did. After the climb we got to hang out in Nairobi for a few days before flying back to the states.

"The Carnivore" has a professional hunter that harvests random wild game from the African prairies. Their daily menu changes upon whatever the hunter brought back to the restaurant. That night they were serving hartebeast. There was a big open fire in the middle of the restaurant and the leg quarters were on a spit. The chef would slice off pieces of meat and plate it for you when you went through the line. A dress coat was mandatory to enter, but not a tie.

The hartebeest (/ˈhɑːrtəˌbiːst/; Alcelaphus buselaphus), also known as kongoni, is an African antelope. Eight subspecies have been described, including two sometimes considered to be independent species.

images

Let's hear your story.

How did you like Tanzania?

fishnfool

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did a home stay with locals on Taquile Island on the Peru side of Lake Titicaca.....whole family and me and wife and in a tiny 1 room kitchen/living room cooking meat and veggies grown in the tiny village. They didn't have power and were cooking/eating in the dark - I popped out a solar powered flashlight and they were pretty excited (ended up leaving it with them). They spoke Quechua so not much conversation...

FB_IMG_1607357853286.jpg

We were also invited to dinner at a local family's house in village in Malawi.....house was a mud hut with thatch roof, also sat/ate in the dark and on a couch missing cushions with springs popping through. We were treated like royalty...very humbling. All food was in a communal bowl passed around, eaten with hands....I've had plenty of bouts with travelers diaharea and thought for sure this experience would get me, but surprisingly not.

20201207_111536.jpg

Last edited:

PaulinKansas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How did you like Tanzania?

We got to meet a Masai village. They slaughtered a goat in front of us. One guy held the goat, and another shot it in the jugular with an arrow. A third person collected the blood in a bowl. Then they cut it up into little pieces and put the meat on skewers. They stuck the skewers in the ground around a small campfire. About an hour later we were eating it. The women in the group were kind of squeamish over this whole presentation. Nairobi was crowded. Saw a person get run over by a box truck. There was also a big military presence at all the intersections along a highway. They had FN FAL's. I secretly took some pictures with a 35mm camera at one of the intersections.

PaulinKansas

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Did you run into Cornholio while you were there?

I've always considered you an intellectual, but now your degenerate side is showing.

Latest posts