Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What is the worst stroke of bad luck you've had?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Socks

Socks Senior Refuge Member

I'm sorry for your loss. It's my greatest fear.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. Socks

Socks Senior Refuge Member

Sorry to hear this. That was rough time period based on the reading I've done.

3. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

Lost a good bit of my hearing by the time I was 18. Tractor, shotgun, chain saw, etc. Found out during a military physical. Had no clue. Doctor didn't recommend hearing aids because "you've only lost your ability to hear high frequencies". Finally saw a good otologist and audiologist decades later. The first thing the audiologist asked was "Did you do alright in school?" A lot of things became crystal clear with that one question. Grades did in fact drop in 11th and 12th grade and I made it through college with a struggle.
    I have no idea what parts of conversations I missed in social settings, school, work, etc. over the years.

4. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Very sorry for your loss, Bill. That has to be tough.

5. Hardcore Waterfowler

Hardcore Waterfowler Senior Refuge Member

6. sfpenn

sfpenn New Member

Please tell me it gets better. I lost my son/best friend/hunting partner/everything this past May. I can’t tell a story about anything I’ve done in the past 10 years without including him. This duck season has been most difficult. I’m sure in time it will get better but with all of this 2020 going on it has been hard.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

You're definitely in the worst of it. Rest of the world appears to have moved on, and that hurts as much as anything. Thing is, others are trying to be kind in not bringing it up. If anything, it gets easier to live life again. There are no magic words, but keep going and time will sooth.

WHUP ! Hen, Clayton and Squaller like this.
  8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am terribly sorry to hear this... It is something that is beyond the ability of most humans to properly deal with, and I cannot imagine what you are going through. The passage of time will allow you to mend, and you will retain those very fond memories of your son, as I have seen with most people that have lost a child.

I am glad to hear that you are out hunting, and only hope that you are able to surround yourself with family and friends, to continue celebrating life. Thoughts and prayers are sent your direction.

Clayton likes this.
  9. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Let me try to change the theme of this thread to "What is the worst stroke of bad luck you've had WITHOUT involving the death/debility injury of a loved one."

I don't think the OP's goal was to make a super depressing thread. More like, something we can look back on and laugh.

Here's mine.

A week ago Sunday I was just trying to prop up a broken 4x4 fence post. A new fence was near $10k and I'm not spending that.

So I got a metal fence post and my plan was to chip away enough cement to drive the metal post down next to it and secure the 4x4 post to it. I was hammering a polished rod (oilfield) and was almost done when I heard a hiss and saw a buff of dirt. At first I was I was dumbfounded, thinking we hit water but then I smelled gas.

Turns out the fence builder installed a 4x4 post RIGHT over the gas line. The crew out to fix it says they get calls weekly and even though I hit the gas line, it was going to leak at some point due to the plastic gas line rubbing against the cement.

I'm still waiting for a bill for the crew out on a Sunday.

10. LAquacker

LAquacker Refuge Member

Opening morning of modern gun deer season at 6:15 am I **** (pooped, just a little bit, but the main load was ready.) my pants.
    I made it halfway down the ladder before there was no stopping it. Waddled my way to the truck to clean up.
    Spooked up at least 3 deer that were around my stand on the way to the truck.

dwhauss likes this.