Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What is your favorite Duck to hunt and shoot ,Anything but a Mallard

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Backwards bleed

Backwards bleed Senior Refuge Member

No need for me to shoot anything I wont eat except for starlings, sparrows, crows, coyotes, and coons.
    I can honestly say that i can identify almost every kind of waterfowl in flight long before they are into gunning range.

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I'd add Bobcats and foxes to your list as well. I've got no problem shooting mergansers and not eating them because I like to catch fish. I don't usually because it's just unnecessary shots when our area generally has too much pressure anyways. Same reason I don't shoot buffleheads. I wish they'd let us shoot cormorants just to save some fish, I hate those nasty birds.

Backwards bleed likes this.
  3. Backwards bleed

I forgot about fox and I would hammer the heck out of cormorants if I could.
    Bobcat is actually excellent to eat. I use the meat for trapping bait. I also do not have a problem killing an animal for its hide. As long as an animal is getting utilized I am ok with it. What I dont like is the guys that take pictures or birds for their social media, and then dump them in the ditch. I can tell those guys a mile away. They are the same ones that say snow geese suck. They obvious have never tried one because I would rate every snow i have ever eaten as better than a canada and right behind a speck in tenderness quality of flavor. That's a mountain of snows too.

MarshmanDon and creedsduckman like this.
  4. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I don't have a problem killing anything as long as there is a justifiable reason for it. Predators, varmints, fur bearers, crop damage, pests etc. I'd try most things if it looked tasty and smelled good. My nephew told me a couple weeks ago he was gonna try some crows he shot. Of course I have given him a pretty hard time about it but I'm impressed he's willing to try them. I agree about snow geese, never had a problem eating them. I think they are good. The only exception here is when the marsh gets burnt and they get in there grubbing for roots and whatnot.

MarshmanDon and Backwards bleed like this.
  5. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I shoot COVID-19 carriers that don’t stay home, I also shoot TP hoarders.

6. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Hands down.....:yes!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MarshmanDon and Backwards bleed like this.
  7. Mike Connor

Mike Connor New Member

Green-winged teal are fun and a challenge. Quick, fast and darting, but will circle back to a good whistle. And, great eating.

8. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

9. MarshmanDon

MarshmanDon Senior Refuge Member

Mallard did t make the list, Sprig 50 cent
    Ruddy 1dollar, baldpate 50 cent, wonder how much corn they fed those ruddy 's.

Backwards bleed likes this.
  10. Backwards bleed

Wild celery. That stuff about extinct.