Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What is your favorite Duck to hunt and shoot ,Anything but a Mallard

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Mar 4, 2020.

1. The Mad Duck

The Mad Duck Elite Refuge Member

I would have to say Ringnecks. They fly like a fighter jet on amphetamines,are aerobatic,decoy well SOMETIMES, will give you repeated passes, and, they eat pretty good too. A buddy and I had to experience of a lifetime watching 20-30K ringers come into an impoundment right before dark, one day. They would start off as tiny specks in the air,fold their wings, then drop like rocks into this place, they would snap their wings open at the last second and juke down to the water. It sounded like a squadron of jet fighters when a large group came in. It took over an hour for the whole group to get in. We went back the next morning. We have to park close to a mile away and walk in. When we parked,we could hear moving water and as we got closer,we realized it was all of these ringers making the racket. It sounded like a river flowing due to all the water they had moving. We walked in and got close enough to them that we could have grabbed a few. When they started heading out, the ground literally shook. Its not something I'll soon forget.

Mudtoes, JP, MN Divers and 7 others like this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Merriam-Webster is big on participation ribbons. I long spelled wigeon with a "d," too, but you'd be hard pressed to find that "d" in anything written by an ornithologist. 'Least, I couldn't when I decided to get it right however many years ago.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

We don't shoot a lot of them at my little mudhole, but I've always thought of them more as catching another gear when the guns come up than aerobatic.

MarshmanDon likes this.
  4. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

That's a hard decision I love teal and gadwalls.... but theres something about wood ducks I'd have to go with them...

Attached Files:

MarshmanDon likes this.
  5. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Hunt and shoot, especially over decoys for chip shots and easy dog work- gaddies.

Hunt and shoot to put in the frying pan- woodies

MarshmanDon, seiowa and Drake91 like this.
  6. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

Couldnt agree with you anymore on that

SkolMNDuckHunter and MarshmanDon like this.
  7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I was gonna say depending on the criteria gadwall save many a slow day around here and late in the season when the mallard circle endlessly only to bail last second, gaddies still come in on a string to 3 decoys and terrible calling lol.

most sporting to shoot? Green wings probably but for as good as teal taste, it pizzes me off how many it takes to get a lot of meat. Around here mallards don’t taste too bad usually and one bird goes a lot further in the pot.

Wood ducks screaming around at 100mph right at LST is usually a fun experience.

any divers are fun cuz we don’t get many around here and compared to the mostly mallard/gadwall hunts we get, them divers seem like hummingbirds going 100mph.

Drake91 likes this.
  8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Wigeon wigeon and even funny colored wigeon. Wigeon flat out make me happy. They cooperate to a call, they decoy in flocks of 100, they don’t have separate bag limits and best of all for me, they help keep the folks of Federal ammunition employed.
    F719F6F5-0EE0-4AEC-9FB8-A14D90AC3772.jpeg

9. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Wigeon, but since we dont get many, teal or ringnecks. I like the screaming by shooting sometimes. Floating mallards are pretty easy.

MarshmanDon and Drake91 like this.
  10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Teal and widgeon are fun, but give me a bull sprig any day.

MarshmanDon likes this.