Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What is "Your Truth about Decoy's"?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by drahthaarducker, Feb 13, 2020.

1. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

A good friend of mine always said " Fishing lures and decoy's were made to catch fishermen and hunters, not fish and ducks!"

We have 4 flyways, 41 + species and hunt dryfields to the offshore locations.

I've owned and hunted over all kinds of decoys. From home made V-boards, silo's, tires and cork to Custom Flocked decoy's by Don Mintz.

In "The Old Day's " of the Refuge Forum's I was "V-Board", I started Sitting Duck's V-board Company.

I've admired the work of many on "The Decoy Forum" and have read with amusment the arguments about the realism, quality, features, and "Finishing Power" of every new decoy the past 20+ years.

What is "Your Truth" about decoy's.

Mine:
    Atlantic Flyway Geese and Brant B&W Silo on V-boards on the water #1
    Canada Goose hunting fields: Silo's - Real Geese, B&W Silo's and Bigfeet.
    Had ton's of geese finish to B&W even when Fully flocked were set up in "THE KILL ZONE" .

Duck's: Atlantic Flyway our creek blinds we used ugly old Quack Rubber decoys and killed them just as well as Avian X, GHG, custom flocked Mintz decoys.

Now that I'm doing travel work in California I have limited space and hunt all public land out of a Kayak or walk in. I've used a Doz. Avian X and done fine.

As I'm now a Senior Citizen and want to carry less weight or maybe the truth is I just like buying decoys...... I bought some Whiterock Nomad Floating Mallards. Next to the Avian X they are downright Ugly. That being said birds finished to the Nomad's as well or better than the Avian X. The Nomad's sit unnaturally high on the water.

My "Truth" .. visability > realism.

2. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Decoys are made to appeal to the buyer and the ultra realistic paint jobs while look great are not needed to finish and kill ducks. The old Herter paint jobs will kill as many ducks as anything. I only change my full body goose decoys where I think premium is better than crud.

hobbydog, J.Bennett, lugnut and 2 others like this.
  3. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Specks will stand in line to die over 12 pretty decoys...if you’re on the X.

4. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Goose decoys no matter if they are $1000 a dozen customs or homemade black and white,will kill birds over goose crap.
    Ultra realistic painted duck decoys,pull in just as many buyers than they do ducks.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

This is a universal truth. Add in camo patterns as well.

I have flocked decoys. I also flocked all my RG silos. I talk about flocking all the time.
    However, I have also said, often, that I do it for myself. I like to look at an ultra realistic set when things are slow.

On a 'no wind' kind of day, the guy with painted soda bottles and a jerk string will out shoot the guy with flocked decoys and no ripples on the water.

6. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

Tim Grounds knew Goose hunting better than 99% of all hunters. He swore by Black and White decoy.
    For Specs he told me a dozen of the most realistic decoys you could afford was the ticket.
    Since my knowledge of Spec hunting in Zero or less I'm inclined to believe you guys

J.Bennett and JRS like this.
  7. wilhelmina slim

wilhelmina slim Senior Refuge Member

I really think it matters more where you place decoys than what brand. If you are hunting wrong place it does not matter if decoys cost $30 apiece or $5.00

riverrat47 likes this.
  8. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

Tim Grounds is wrong.
    I can set up right on goose poop and still not get anything.

riverrat47 and drahthaarducker like this.
  9. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

I don't know, but I have $10,000, worth out in my garage. My neighbors and relatives think I'm sick. If you're on the X anything will work. You have to know how to use them to kill birds off the X.

1100 Remington Man and deac like this.
  10. Back2Maryland

Back2Maryland Senior Refuge Member

Sometimes hunt with a group on the Eastern Shore that kills them all season over 50-100 masonite silos. Three colors, not a B&W.

Farm is in a good traffic area, but occasionally you will see birds stacked in there when not hunted. Their key, I think, is that they are well hidden in a-frames tucked under trees. Blinds are well brushed. By the end of the season you can look at the piles of wads in the field to figure out where the kill zone should be when setting out decoys.

I use about 8dz RG2. Flocked heads and tails. Seems to work well even on pressured geese.

B2M