Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What is "Your Truth about Decoy's"?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by drahthaarducker, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

For divers you'll need 5 times as many decoys as there are birds in the flock. It takes decoys to draw in a flock of a dozen divers...

Juan De and H20DAD like this.
  2. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

I like my pretty decoys. Do you need em. Prob not but I feel better. We’re all in got mono line j weights with lil loops so it’s easy to grab with gloves on an slotted bags. Mostly avians n ghg. But a few hand painted foamers to.

Ratdaddy likes this.
  3. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

I like my pretty decoys. Do you need em. Prob not but I feel better. We’re all in got mono line j weights with lil loops so it’s easy to grab with gloves on an slotted bags. Mostly avians n ghg. But a few hand painted foamers to.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

You will not routinely kill mallards here with green head gear hot buys more than 30 days into the season.
    I went to fully flocked Dakotas and it made a huge difference on the shot being 25 yards instead of 45. Other ducks, not near as important. My big water spread is chipped up, faded paint ugly decoys that work just fine for wigeon and sprig.
    Geese, I’m not sure at all. We used 1/4” plywood silos in the early 90’s in the same exact fields we’re now using Avian X and other high dollar brands with flocked heads.
    My opinion is a guy could probably kill geese still with cheap goose shells and silos.
    But, we kill a bunch over high dollar decoys, so I’ll probably never find out.

2WIDGN, drahthaarducker and H20DAD like this.
  5. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

That might depend on who went at them with a paint brush. ;)

6. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

Had to fix my own quote...left out 60...

7. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

We killed these over our quality decoy spread.

20181029_084323.jpg

8. Pirogue

Pirogue Elite Refuge Member

Black and whites will kill as many as DSDs or any other high dollar decoy on the market.....same goes for tarred jugs for ducks. Birds have a brain the size of a peanut.

P

9. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I try to keep in mind that things are drastically different in various parts of the country. In places where migration is ongoing and new birds are in a continual flow your decoy quality is not important. Sometimes I think people "decoy" birds in spite of their decoys and not because of them. I hear a lot of people talking about hunting the "X" and wonder why you'd use decoys at all if they are going there anyway. The most important thing to me is black in the spread and flocking is as black as you can get black to be, so I go with that. By far the most important thing is being where the birds are, not necessarily where they are landing or roosting, but at least in a place where birds can see you. It doesn't matter how pretty your decoys are if there aren't ducks around. I know it's not always the case where others hunt, but where I hunt it's important to match the species you are seeing. I get a few buffleheads to decoy to anything on occasion, but lots of buffleheads decoy when I'm using bufflehead decoys. On a hunt a few years ago a friend had common goldeneye decoys out and saw lots of barrows and never shot any, only common goldeneye came in. The next week I brought my barrows decoys and we shot 14 barrows and only a couple of commons came in. My advice is to be flexible with your thoughts about what will or won't work, we are changing strategy almost every hunt. My thoughts about decoys is they are a positive tool, I make mine pretty because I can, I wouldn't hunt without decoys.

10. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I wear Sitka jockey shorts and socks if I'm gonna use old Carrylite decoys.

spaightlabs likes this.