Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What is "Your Truth about Decoy's"?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by drahthaarducker, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Very true...

Weather, hunting pressure, species of birds being hunted, percentages of juvenile birds hatched, period of the season... Etc...

My impression of decoys, is that you can get away with less realism in larger spreads than smaller spreads (maybe mass numbers of decoys confuse birds?).

I do not think that realistic decoys attract wary birds better as much as they do not flair decoy-shy birds as much...

Motion can work for you or against you. There are times when spinning wing decoys work for you, and times when they work against you... Same with the motorized water motion decoys... A jerk cord (utilized correctly) generally is NOT a negative.

Visibility is important, and those Full-curl decoys with flocked heads, although not ultra-realistic, seemed to work better than most decoys for attracting early season mallards. They stand out and look good a long ways off... They are also God-awful heavy.

2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Sometimes......no decoys is better. :grvn Put out a small spread on a pond one morning.
    A group of geese made one swing and left. This happened about three times. Changed
    the number and the look....two more times....not interested. Removed ALL the decoys
    and the next group dropped RIGHT IN. Two did not leave. :h

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

I,ve got a wood duck spot that works exactly the same as your goose pond Kwiklabs.

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

We didn't use dekes in Bayou Meto, just kicked the water!

5. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

My truth ...

My best duck decoys are floating Canada dekes.

salthunter and JP like this.
  6. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

Location, new to the area birds, hunting pressure, all trump decoy style in my opinion. That said I like bigger , higher visibility decoys . And I will pair that with judicious use of motion, usually a jerk string. I usually hunt alone and if you put out too many decoys you tend to screw up your perfect shooting hole. But that only works for me where I shoot.

7. Zach.in.Nampa

Zach.in.Nampa Senior Refuge Member

My honest truth is buy decent but cheap as far as duck decoys go. I use the old big bags, not the nice ones with the individual pockets, so I expect my decoys to get beat up, or shot by a certain cousin or an equally certain bro in law . I try to get ones with a good shape to them and as durable as possible, but also light. I'm not above buying used, or the wally world special, got some decent flambeau stormfront Mallards, pins and widgeon at this point from wally world. My whole idea is that I know I'm gonna beat em up, so I know I'll either be Flocking or painting in the summer. (Honestly I enjoy it though, let my brain go for a hike, drink a beer and think about the upcoming season). for my geese, I'm still learning to hunt them over dirt, I have a small Honker spread entirely of shells with 1 doz silos, all used except silos, and I flock the heads on those and repaint the bodies. Those I do pay a bit more attention to detail, but they only get bagged twice a season, once in the way in and once in the way out so they hold their paint etc better, doesn't save them from the mighty cousin and bro in law combo though. but after all that,I just might have a decoy problem that I'll neither confirm nor deny, and a Folgers can the wife doesn't know about, so I'll be adding more over the summer

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. Peakebrook

Peakebrook Senior Refuge Member

Buy or make what you will enjoy looking at while hunting. I typically like to buy non-disposable items once, rather than constantly upgrading.

dog duck gun and Zach.in.Nampa like this.
  9. David Neuman

David Neuman New Member

A farmer looks natural; a hunter suspicious. The best decoy is diversion... look like a farmer...

Attached Files:

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Definitely something to that: have shot more than a few geese by snuggling up to a parked combine or tractor's tires. And the best chance of popping a passing bird while walking in or out of a field is by not slowing that walk until the birds are as close as their course takes them to what they think a benign human.