Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What is "Your Truth about Decoy's"?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by drahthaarducker, Feb 13, 2020.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

A good decoy spread can be from 2 to 2000 and quality from 2litre bottles to stuffers. Every situation is different. In some situations, less is more. Don't be afraid to experiment. I watch a lot of bird hunting videos and you can learn the good, bad, and ugly of decoys. I,'ve been at this for 45 years and still learn something new every season.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  2. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

TRUTH .. I can't carry as many as I usually need:(

3. David Neuman

David Neuman New Member

I’m quite new to setting decoys etc for Canada’s, but the birds I hunt are mostly traveling in small groups on loafing ponds mid to late season. When scouting, I’ve noticed the birds are typically flying in small groups, < 10 but the ponds will typically fill with 50-75 birds by lunch. When hunting, the early groups seemed to shy away from my decoys when I set 12 or more (F.B. / shell mix) on land and after a few were on the water I’d have success. I switched on some advice to using 3-6 F.B’s and from then on, the first small group of the day set right in. After the first shoot, whether I had 2 or a limit I’d pack out quick to not disturb the other birds and the ponds would stay active week after week. This year I hunted solo; I don’t call or have a dog, but will probably bring some other rookies with me next year. Is this a typical pattern I can count on or am I missing something?

4. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

What those canadas want is to HEAR from the birds on the water as much as they need to see some birds. If you are willing to learn how to talk to the incoming canadas you are hunting you will be exponentially more successful.

5. David Neuman

David Neuman New Member

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

You might want to invest in a 6 pack of goose floaters instead of waiting for real geese to lite to be your decoys.....:tu

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Aside from the part about bringing some new guys that will likely make your hunts longer (and who might also bring new guys, who might also bring...), it reads to me like you've got it figured out. As the finest human predator I've known once put it, "Want to be like the coyote: slip in, do my little dirt and slip out."

Your mini-spread isn't just what early birds might expect to see when they arrive, but allows you to grab your stuff and get out without disturbing later arrivals.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

whether the outcome is I got skunked, or hunted all day to be one shy of a limit, the reason why is ALWAYS “shoulda brought more decoys”

sacbob and Birdcrazy like this.
  9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I’ve gotten to the point I use what is easiest for me
    And generally it will be a handful of DSD when hunting the field alone

if there is competition I’ll add more decoys
    If I have someone to help set up maybe I’ll add more decoys
    Most days quality outperforms quantity

better decoys put birds closer for better shot cleaner shots

In my area most Black and whites most days will slide geese off
    I hunted afield for years I was the only hunter with fb decoys for years first it was bigfoots with higdon 3/4 then Hard cores Then DSD
    For years there would be 3 - 7 spreads on 410 acre field
    For about 50 consecutive hunts I/we were the first off the field and out of well over 100 hunts only a handful of times others were done first
    So quality mattered

another field another fellow And I hunted maybe a dozen times competing many of those times he had choice of location
    He had his spread of whatever that was new in 1980 mine was new Bigfoot’s higdon andEggshell Hardcore
    Of those dozen hunts we every time out hunted his crap junk spread

^^^^^^^^ great post

^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Another good post

10. David Neuman

David Neuman New Member

Thanks everyone, you’ve re-confirmed a lot of things.
    - Do the homework
    - Scout
    - Learn how, when and how much to call
    - Watch the hunting buddies (claim jumpers)
    - Be a predator

Quarne likes this.