Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

What makes you decide who is a good teacher?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Hawk, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

What to you constitutes a good teacher?

Is it the testing scores? Student’s have no accountability for these national tests. The tests are supposed to show what the students know and have learned, yet if a student wakes up that testing day and just decides not to care about the test they could theoretically mark everything wrong. Hopefully they don’t not to mention the fact that some of these tests must be taken by the end of April instead of the end of May when teachers and students could be using that extra month to improve their skills.

Is it the US overall ranking versus the rest of the world? The US tests almost every student, not so with other countries. However other countries have developed some successful teaching methods yet some countries still send their best and brightest to the US for their education.

Is it the teacher who assigns the most homework or is it the teacher that keeps kids interested for 50 minutes in class and gets the work done there? Is it the teacher who responds to parent’s emails and concerns immediately or is it the teacher who is too busy teaching and researching things for their lessons and can't respond till later in the day?

I’m curious what the public perception of a good teacher is as I see an awful lot of teacher bashing lately. I also notice plenty of people complaining that teachers only work 9 months out of the year. If a teacher puts in 50 hours a week which isn’t uncommon they will have put in the hours of a 45 work week year. Which means they have the equivalent of 7 weeks off for the year. I know that’s not the way it is but I’m comparing hours worked in the education week to the regular work week. Now, how many of you get 3-6 weeks paid vacation time off? The teachers time off is unpaid.

I have enormous respect for good teachers and like many of you I dislike the “paycheck” teachers. You know the ones who show up to just get their check. A good teacher that invests themselves both emotionally and mentally in their classroom and can inspire kids to achieve their best is probably worth more than they are paid but that type of teacher also really doesn’t care that much because they aren’t there for the money.

It’s just hard to sit and watch so much teacher bashing on here and the general lumping of the bad ones with the good. So many people on this site get mad when slob hunters are called hunters because they hurt our image yet teachers always seem to be lumped together. I feel bad for the teachers I respect because of this Wisconsin mess and the national backlash which seems to be out there.

2. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I have respect for many teachers. One of my daughters is a junior high school math teacher, and I applaud her efforts and attitude in teaching. I blame the school unions, and the attitude that the fed government needs to throw more and more money at local schools. Somehow we need to concentrate more on our kids getting a good education, and eliminating the unecessary spending in doing so. Teachers aren't the only reason kids are getting shortchanged. Parents need to get involved more, and the government needs to get involved less.

3. StillInScrubs

StillInScrubs Elite Refuge Member

Hawk,

What is your line of work? Do you belong to a union?

4. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

I appreciate the input of the first post and I figured someone would eventually ask about my line of work.

In response to my line of work I am an educator. I belong to the SDEA which is tied in with the NEA. Do I cringe everytime I see them do something I don't agree with such as the Wisconsin mess or when NEA leaders make the news for standoffs in major cities, yes I do. I have various reasons why I'm a member but I have never taken a sick day to lobby for pay for example. That just seems like the wrong way to go about things.

The reason I posted the question about teachers was I spend my day around other educators, I spend my day with kids, I don't often get out with the general public and public opinion.

My original question had nothing to do with unions, nor was I on a fishing expedition. I posted it because I actually use this site as an examination of cultural views in America. I can go home tonight and watch the news and get small snippets of things going on in America or I can hop on this site and can see threads or posts from all corners of the country helping me to see how different areas view different issues.

My intent was not to start a discussion about why you should support teachers or not, not to discuss unions, not even to talk teacher pay which I guess makes this post seem contradictory with my first post and the mention of months teached, etc. I'm just generally curious what the public views as good teacher and are the views of the public different from area to area. Maybe I just should have posted that question and left it at that? I just realized I should have marked the topic OT also.

5. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

1. 1. test scores.
      2. time for me as a parent. (My sister had confrences for her 2 daughter same night and time the one teacher told her sorry bout your luck but I wont reschedule for 1 student. she is a first grade teacher with 15 students. thats total BS)
      3. Overall student approval. You cant teach if you are consitetntly disliked by your students

Those are my top 3.

What teacher get payed irritates me becuase ya the might work long weeks. but they still get three months +/- a year. I work 50-55 hours a week 52 weeks a year and still struggle at times. Public service should not be a wealth building career when many of the taxpayers who pay their salaries are losing their homes.

6. PGA2B

PGA2B Elite Refuge Member

To start with, kids being able to point to Canada on a map...lets start there....my daughter is in 5th grade, her teacher spends a couple hours after the bell rings many days helping the kids individually that can stay after.....WAY ABOVE THE NORM! and she would be one of the first laid off in a round of educational cuts......I think when a peson gets comfortable with guarenteed ob and benifits, thier performance declines....it happens in every walk of life sports, teachers, politicians, business people.......stop tenure and go to merit pay for performance. I think you will see test scores rise and all teachers become better or leave the profession making way for the next generation and thier enthusiasm.....

7. Hawk

Hawk Elite Refuge Member

njking, that's to bad about your sister and her conferences. Teachers should be available to talk when parents have issues to discuss and if the teacher does not have time to be available at that moment they should schedule a time to talk about the issues.

8. brreed82

brreed82 Senior Refuge Member

:doh ;)

9. njking

njking Elite Refuge Member

It isnt all a public school issue either. I should have pointed out my sisters children go to catholic school.

10. SpaceDog

SpaceDog Elite Refuge Member

Hawk,

Your question is a good one. Unless parents observe a teacher's classroom over multiple instances, one can't get a very important source of information to adequately answer that question.

So we use grades, feedback of students, assessments of other parents, our assessment of a teacher at conference or at other school based interactions. That's all we have.

Most teachers are good teachers. I can't assess what percentage of teachers stink and ought to be in some other line of work; but whatever it is, those teachers ought to be moved out.