What old hunters do when....

thin ice

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I used to live 7 miles from Pierre on 5 acres. We had the Missouri River across the road from our house. A boat ramp at the bottom of the hill it was hunting and fishing at my door step. The Honkers flew over our roof top but i didn't feel like I was hunting unless I got some miles between home and my blind so I didn't shoot at home. Happy wife! Ha! It took a rainy day looking out the rear window of an ambulance on I-90 headed to Sioux Falls for heart surgery for me to realize that I missed my duck hunting on the lake where I learned to hunt waterfowl. I told myself that if I lived through the surgery I'd go back to hunting from the boat on the swamp again. Best hunting decision that I ever made. So many great memories!!

Last edited:

Mean Gene

Reaction score
The Honkers flew over our roof top but i didn't feel like I was hunting unless I got some miles between home and my blind so I didn't shoot at home. Happy wife! Ha!

Funny you should say that. I have an antelope tag for this area. At times we have 10-20 of them in our yard. I told my wife I could stick one with an arrow and go pick it up with the quad. She informed me...in no uncertain terms...that I would NOT be filling any tags from the porch. :l :l I wouldn't anyway, but it's kinda fun watching her reactions. :l

BB-Shot

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I hunt in my back yard all the time I mainly just shoot photos of stuff it was hard for me to pull the trigger out there today. Kicked about thirty or so teal and four mallards out on my way to the blind the teal usually come back with in an hour or so if I don't shoot. I had a few decoys stuck in the duck weed it's thick this year, so I get in my little boat to rearrange decoys push pole out. Well one little teal was very tired and hungry it was silly it was intrigued in what I was doing it got a free pass.

009.jpg

006.jpg

014.jpg

thin ice

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
One could only dream of having a back yard like yours, BB-shot! Wow! Livin the dream! Hats off to you! This will probably be my last post or reply because after totally loosing one eye to glaucoma reading on the computer is just putting far too much strain on the eye that I have left and then blurs my vision for hours. . After looking at the print I can barely make out the keys on my keyboard. Happy hunting to all of you on the SD Forum!

Mojo

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I wish you well sir.
Count your blessings - The unconditional love of your dogs, finding your soul-mate, the hunts, the places you've lived, remember them and be thankful.

Mean Gene

Reaction score
Can you increase the type size via zooming to get around the eye strain?

thin ice

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nope, I've tried that over and over but it isn't the print size that gives me trouble. Very hard to explain,other than it blures out instead of focusing. Kind of like when you walk outdoors when it is really cold oujt and your glasses begin to fog over. Looking against any brightness makes it much worse ie: computer, TV and sunlight. Sunglasses don't help either. I've reached the difficult point in the small amount I have just typed in this reply.

Last edited:

5 stand

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Can you increase the type size via zooming to get around the eye strain?
Gene,
I know you don't frequent DHC much anymore, but I use dark mode when I'm on that site... And like it.. it could possibly help thin ice... I could not find dark mode in settings on this site, but I haven't pursued it very hard either.. maybe MJ or someone could inform you if there is a dark mode, and how to use it?

Mean Gene

Reaction score
Nope, I've tried that over and over but it isn't the print size that gives me trouble. Very hard to explain,other than it blures out instead of focusing. Kind of like when you walk outdoors when it is really cold oujt and your glasses begin to fog over. Looking against any brightness makes it much worse ie: computer, TV and sunlight. Sunglasses don't help either. I've reached the difficult point in the small amount I have just typed in this reply.

Gene,
I know you don't frequent DHC much anymore, but I use dark mode when I'm on that site... And like it.. it could possibly help thin ice... I could not find dark mode in settings on this site, but I haven't pursued it very hard either.. maybe MJ or someone could inform you if there is a dark mode, and how to use it?

What about using assistive technology? People who are completely blind use it all the time.