What patterns is everyone getting out of their shotgun/choke/ammo combination?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by stoneyhu717, May 5, 2021.

1. stoneyhu717

stoneyhu717 Senior Refuge Member

I have been looking at chokes for a few months now for my waterfowl shotgun (Versa Max Sportsman). It came with a flush mount factory choke. I hunted with that choke this past season and I was very successful hunting ducks, but I was wounding snow geese. Some would fly another 100 yards or more before dropping. Others would fall, only to get up and take off again.

I noticed my daughter (using my A300 Outlander/carlsons LR), her bf (SX4/ Pattern master Anaconda), and my hunting buddy (sx2/pattern master classic), were all getting cleaner kills than I was. I had not patterned my modified choke, as I got the gun during duck season, but I will be doing it soon.

While researching chokes, I found lots of threads where hunters give their personal opinions about various gun/choke/ammo combinations, but don’t give their patterning results. I thought I’d create a thread where we can post our patterning results for various combinations for everyone to read. I think it would be very helpful for those of us who are trying to find an optimal combination for their gun.

I realize everyone must go out and pattern their own guns, but it’s not economically feasible to purchase multiple chokes and pattern them to see what works best. It may help to get some idea of what others have successfully patterned with their guns. I will post results from my guns as I pattern them. Starting with my Versa Max. I have a Carlsons extended IC choke, the flush mount factory choke, and I found a discount on a Pattern master code black goose. I also have a carlsons long beard choke for turkey. I’m interested to see how the carlsons IC choke patterns compared to the factory mod.

I am also looking to add a full choke for my V3, as the one that came with it is lead only. I considered a kicks high flyer, but I think I’ll wait and see some results from others on here. I hope some of you will share your pattern results and experiences.

2. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

stoneyhu717 likes this.
  3. Alldrakes

Alldrakes Elite Refuge Member

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/patterning-page.231104/

stoneyhu717 likes this.
  5. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I have posted a good many of my pattern numbers over the years from Remington factory flush Rem-chokes and Browning Invector-plus chokes. A quick search should show them.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get from factory flush Rem-chokes and Carlson extended chokes with three waterfowl loads that I patterned.

Pattern results from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 28" barrel and factory flush Rem-chokes and Carlson extended chokes (pattern average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, in-shell pellet count average of five, and true choke constriction from bore gauge).

12 GA 3" FEDERAL PREMIUM BLACK CLOUD STEEL LOAD
    1 1/4 oz #2 steel (91 zinc plated steel + 53 FS steel pellets = 144 pellets) @ 1450 fps

40 YARDS w/ Factory Flush Rem-chokes
    Rem-choke IC (.009" const.) / pattern 88 (61%)
    Rem-choke Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 92 (64%)
    Rem-choke Full (S/L) (.037" const.) / pattern 113 (78%)

40 YARDS w/ Carlson Extended Chokes
    Carlson Ext IC / Close-Range (.007” const,) / pattern 95 (66%)
    Carlson Ext Mod / Mid-Range (.017” const.) / pattern 100 (69%)
    Carlson Ext Full / Long-Range (.027” const.) / pattern 113 (78%)

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER ELITE BLIND SIDE STEEL LOAD
    1 3/8 oz #2 Hex Steel pellets (176 pellets) @ 1400 fps

Rem-choke IC (.009" const.) / pattern 85 (48%)
    Rem-choke Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 104 (59%)
    Rem-choke Full (.037" const.) / pattern 109 (62%)

Carlson Ext IC / Close-Range (.007” const.) / pattern 87 (49%)
    Carlson Ext Mod / Mid-Range (.017” const.) / pattern 91 (52%)
    Carlson Ext Full / Long-Range (.027” const.) / pattern 109 (62%)

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER XPERT HI-VELOCITY STEEL LOAD
    1 1/4 oz #2 steel (146 pellets) @ 1400 fps

Rem-choke IC (.009" const.) / pattern 76 (52%)
    Rem-choke Mod (.018" const.) / pattern 106 (73%)
    Rem-choke Full (.037" const.) / pattern 118 (81%)

Carlson Ext IC / Close-Range (.007” const.) / pattern 93 (64%)
    Carlson Ext Mod / Mid-Range (.017” const.) / pattern 106 (73%)
    Carlson Ext Full / Long-Range (.027” const.) / pattern 113 (77%)

Hope this helps, good luck!

stoneyhu717 likes this.
  6. stoneyhu717

Thanks Alldrakes! That was some great information on the VM. I should have mentioned this before purchasing the code black goose. If it doesn’t pattern well enough to suit me, I’ll look into carlsons creamators. I don’t expect the factory mod choke to pattern BBs well at all. I started out with 3.5” BBs during snow goose season, and wasn’t knocking them down well. I swapped to #2s after seeing my daughter stone a couple with 3” #2s.

7. stoneyhu717

Joe Hunter, I have seen some of your posts while doing research. It’s very informative. Have you ever patterned a kicks high flyer through any remchoke guns?

As I understand it, the V3 actually comes with briley flush mount chokes. I’m interested to see how they pattern as well.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  8. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

No, I've not.

I've gotten perfectly good workable patterns from factory flush Rem-chokes with the appropriate ammo in my 870 for the waterfowl shooting I do. I got those Carlson's tubes for my son's 870, so I patterned them just to see what they would do with a couple loads.

Good luck with your patterning work and we'll be waiting to see your results.

stoneyhu717 likes this.
  9. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

Even if a 12 ga 3-1/2" shotgun is giving perfect patterns the extra noise and recoil may make it harder for most shooters to put the bird in the center of the pattern.

There are about 107 steel BB pellets in 1-1/2 oz of shot. 3-1/2" 12 ga
    There are about 154 steel #2 pellets in 1-1/4 oz of shot. 3" 12 ga
    There are about 127 steel #1 pellets in 1-1/4 oz of shot. 3" 12 ga

If you are shooting at birds at 40 yards and under you may get more cleaner kills on geese with lower recoil loads that have more pellets.

You can still cripple birds with a choke and load combination that give great patterns, if the bird is just hit with the edge of the pattern.

stoneyhu717 likes this.
  10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

unless you know what you have , dimensions of your bore and constriction of your choke , you'll be just guessing at what you'll be shopping for !
    Names mean nothing , just because one is called a Duck Killer or Goose pounder , only tells you the marketing people have caught your eye !
    Patterning is the only way to be satisfied with your selection but , it only takes 3 shots at the distance , you think you need that choke constriction for !
    Practicing your shooting ability , sometimes , is better than buying another choke tube !

stoneyhu717 likes this.