What position did you play?

Paul Myrdahl

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Played every position on the diamond growing up and into college. Played basketball til 8th grade then wanted to focus on hunting in the winter so I quit basketball. Played soccer in sixth and seventh grade until I heard the term “field fairy.” So I had to give that up too. Started playing fast pitch softball my sophomore year of college in the summer. Caught for a team that won a few state championships and two national titles. Then started umpiring college ball as a way to stay a part of the game as I got older and stopped playing
When you caught fastpitch was it with or without chest protector? ;)In the late 80's early 90's I played with my dad's friends. I had the opt for the no protector because that's how they did it old school and I had to show them I was tough as a 19/ early 20 year old. The pitchers I caught were brothers. A couple of native American fellows. One slow and smooth with good placement an lots of movement. The other threw smoke!!! One would start the other would finish. Kept the other team on their toes. This was park league but those fellas pitched in national tournaments.

freefall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Football only, 2nd grade-high school. Outside Linebacker/Strong Safety/Tight end.

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
When you caught fastpitch was it with or without chest protector? ;)In the late 80's early 90's I played with my dad's friends. I had the opt for the no protector because that's how they did it old school and I had to show them I was tough as a 19/ early 20 year old. The pitchers I caught were brothers. A couple of native American fellows. One slow and smooth with good placement an lots of movement. The other threw smoke!!! One would start the other would finish. Kept the other team on their toes. This was park league but those fellas pitched in national tournaments.
The team I caught for didn’t even have chest protectors. I was scared to death back there when i first started. I even asked the teams manager one time why they didn’t have them. His response was…. Why waste the money? You don’t have time on these short bases to block a ball and still be able to throw a guy out. My response back was, I’m not worried about blocking balls as much as I am taking a foul ball off the chest. Never happened though somehow

GulfCoast

Moderate Moderator
Reaction score
Football, Jr. High to High School, Willie linebacker and occasional guard. No. 1 doubles in tennis (with partner, obviously).

Paul Myrdahl

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The team I caught for didn’t even have chest protectors. I was scared to death back there when i first started. I even asked the teams manager one time why they didn’t have them. His response was…. Why waste the money? You don’t have time on these short bases to block a ball and still be able to throw a guy out. My response back was, I’m not worried about blocking balls as much as I am taking a foul ball off the chest. Never happened though somehow
The only place I took foul tips were in the melon and off the shins and feet. The ones to the melon left a lasting impression on your jaw muscles if they hit you square!

As far as blocking the ball, I was informed by an umpire if I didn't try harder to block them the strike zone might shrink a little.

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The only place I took foul tips were in the melon and off the shins and feet. The ones to the melon left a lasting impression on your jaw muscles if they hit you square!

As far as blocking the ball, I was informed by an umpire if I didn't try harder to block them the strike zone might shrink a little.
I never heard that playing fastpitch, but back whenever I started umpiring and was doing high school ball, I remember taking three pitches during the same at bat. Two in the chest protector and one in the mask. My partner who was working A at the time, down behind first base, yelled into the dugout after the third one and said “Hey Coach…. Is that the best you’ve got on your lineup? No on on your team can catch?” The kid didn’t even move, I dunno what his deal was. But my zone shrunk to pretty much non existent that day outta madness and frustration

Phytoplankton

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Baseball, I'm left handed, so it was first base or pitcher. In football, I played center, guard, and tackle. I centered myself on the bench, guarded the water cooler, and tackled anyone who came near it!(LOL)

DuckFan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Football: wide receiver and some D back/Safety

Baseball: short stop, First and Pitcher

Basketball: Forward

Good times and memories…. Really good!
:tu