What position did you play?

glock

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Linebacker until after sophomore year. Decided playing football took too much time away from duck hunting.
Played center in hockey, senior year we won the HS championship. Ended up being recruited by a well known coach to play D1 hockey. Senior year after a few surgeries it was either stop playing or not walking. Got a pretty good hitch in my get along but was worth it!

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I played 3rd base in little league and thoroughly enjoyed it. That ended when I opted to go to summer camp instead of enrolling in the draft. I wrestled from age 5 up until I blew my knee out in junior year of high school. I played football for a couple of years in peewee league as a defensive back. I tried basketball and soccer for a couple years and didn't care for either.

Vahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Baseball was my passion. Pitched and played outfield thru high school. Was blessed to play four years at a Division 1 college as a starting pitcher. Still play competitive amateur baseball at 39 years old.
By my 3 & 4th year of D1 baseball my passion for baseball was all but gone. The schedule was so demanding it took the fun out of the sport. While I still play that drive has really never total came back.
Frankly, it's good that you still enjoy it to some degree and can play.

I've always wanted to ask this of a college baseball player..... My school's baseball team (I went to Penn State) seemed like they were down south, not at school, from February to about April 1. This was before on-line classes. How in the world do you keep up with class work being away so much and then spending so much time playing, practicing, lifting when you're on campus?

fishnfool

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was a good pitcher through little league but messed my arm up.

Was mediocre at basketball and was relegated to church league in HS.

I gave football a shot in 6th grade to appease the parents but absolutely hated it and didn't have the body for it (stupidly skinny till college) so my "career" ended before the season ever started.

I picked up tennis in junior high, took it very seriously, was all state in HS, burned out and declined to play in college, picked it back up in my late 20s, and still play weekly now. I love it.

But my favorite "sports" are now skiing and mountain biking...wish I had access to them growing up cause it sucks trying to hang with my friends who did.

I'm also a gifted runner with not much love for it...I'm that guy who can easily run a half marathon with zero training, and I turned in a couple good marathons without ever looking at a watch. I'm debating signing up another to qualify for Boston now that I've passed 40.

texduk3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
on Long Island:
sprints, freshman HS track.
spohmore, Outfield HS baseball.
Junior, Senior, inside center/wing HS soccer.
Then,
gave up sports during 6 college years.............
after graduation, pick up round ball, softball night league and sunday beer league

Moved to Texas, did not play ...................a thing,
found guns............and ducks

drahthaarducker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Road biking was my go to "sport" but never competitively.
I was frequently the lead cyclist the last 10-20 miles of century rides.
Some of my friends didn't train hard enough and a couple of young riders got dropped from packs they shouldn't have been riding with in the 1st place.

This GBS has kicked my ***, I'm tired after 30 minutes on the bike at planet fitness.

I have to get my strength and endurance back before duck season and those 2 mile death marches

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I really never possessed any athletic skills although I did give baseball, football, golf, track and basketball a go. I failed miserably at everything. I couldn't run for crap as I ran stiff legged. I didn't have enough beef for football, early on I had very little hand/eye coordination so baseball and golf sucked. Later on, in my 20s, I had a modicum of success in the shooting sports.