What position did you play?

camano gibby

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Was a port side oarsman on the Green Lake crew in Seattle during 1963/1964. I held down the #6 and #8(stroke) seat.
Most memorable race was when we were high school seniors and went down to Oregon State U and beat the OSU freshman on the Willamette River......getting beat by a bunch of ragtag high school punks really gave them the red ***

Last edited:

Mudtoes

Senior Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No sports during the fall as that was hunting season. Played baseball until I was 16, was a catcher at the time. One night I made a throw to second base and it felt like my arm went there also. Fell to the ground and puked, Torn rotator cuff, end of my hardball career.

salthunter

Reaction score
What the heck is a packing contest?
Put a bunch of weight in a back pack and move as fast as you can a n.
The bear pack contest was to emulate packing bear out of the woods.
Voyagers Pack was a Fur- trader, style , simulating portaging from lake to lake

Mallardmisser

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was the not so great athlete in a very athletic family. My dad started our wrestling program at my HS, and ironically our DU chapter too. i lettered in 8th an 9th grade in golf, the program was cut. 3 years baseball LF, 2 years football(9 and 10) WR/Safety 1 cross-country and 3 years wrestling.

I was 5'3" 130lbs my senior year, loved football, just couldn't take the beatings.

I literally grew up in the military, hit 5'10' 170 and was pretty damn solid. Went back to college and sparred with a couple wrestlers, just wasn't that driven anymore. i needed to study.

waterrat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I really never possessed any athletic skills although I did give baseball, football, golf, track and basketball a go. I failed miserably at everything. I couldn't run for crap as I ran stiff legged. I didn't have enough beef for football, early on I had very little hand/eye coordination so baseball and golf sucked. Later on, in my 20s, I had a modicum of success in the shooting sports

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cricket ..... right arm fast bowler. I claim to be an International player given the village team had games with Gibraltar, and St Kitts and Nevis.

Soccer ..... raiding centre half. Never played much after 23 but had a lot of fun in the old Birmingham Works League up till then.

Rugby Football ..... full back. I could run and kick but that was it. Didn't play much after Grammar school.

Boxed in the Birmingham ABA until I collared a bloody good hiding off a guy who was actually some good.

Field Hockey .... centre half. Played at a pretty good level. I was no better than anyone else in the first half, but after that I could dominate the game from sheer fitness and stamina. Loved it when the opposition started throwing up on the sidelines..

Words never uttered in the 5 generations of my family that I have known. :l

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played a lot of baseball growing up....mostly SS and 3rd base. Found out in high school that I had some good hops in my legs. High Jumped 6'10" and long jumped 24 ft. I could also run a bit......4:25 mile....:49 second 1/4 mile. Went to college on a track scholarship....but I forgot to go to class. Came home after a semester and found out that my dad wouldn't let me live at home. Found myself in San Diego in the Marine Corps. End of athletic career. :l

As an adult I ran quite a bit....everything from 5K to Marathons. Eventually started doing Triathlon. I enjoyed it. All of the jumping and running eventually ended that a few years ago, after 3 knee surgeries and 2 back surgeries....and a heart AFIB condition likely brought on by years of endurance sports....at least according to my cardio doc.

I shot pistol competitions pretty well for about 15 years, and won a bit here and there. I'd like to start that up again, but I don't see very well anymore....so maybe not.

I'm pretty content today to lift weights a bit, light weight and long reps, and do some 2-4 mile walks 3-5 times a week. I still enjoy watching sports....it's the only time I'll turn on the TV to sit and watch.

I think I can keep up with most drinking beer.....so I still have that. :yes

If I could kill a duck I would call myself a duck hunter.....maybe this season it will happen.

Last edited:

patos el supremo

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I played football, baseball & basketball through high school. Over 40 years ago now.
Football………RB & LB
Baseball……..3B
Basketball……PF

I was not very good on very bad teams, but I did get to play and loved it. If they had the HS fishing teams back then that they have now, I would have done that over all the others.

jpallen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Frankly, it's good that you still enjoy it to some degree and can play.

I've always wanted to ask this of a college baseball player..... My school's baseball team (I went to Penn State) seemed like they were down south, not at school, from February to about April 1. This was before on-line classes. How in the world do you keep up with class work being away so much and then spending so much time playing, practicing, lifting when you're on campus?
It was very hard to stay up with classes and grades. I majored and graduated with a civil engineering degree. Some kids just couldn't swing the grades and all the travel. Spring semester I would take the minimum of 12 credits or close to. As a starting pitcher there was many short or day trips that if I was not in rotation to start I would not travel with the team to attend class instead. Sucked staying back but many of the engineering courses were way to demanding to miss class. During all the travel instead of screwing around with teammates I did school work on planes, buses and in hotels.

Latest posts