What position did you play?

burns312

Reaction score
Played middle linebacker and center in football through high school. Went to college as a catcher and gladly transitioned to 1B when two of our regular 1B got injured in the same week. Had an absolute blast playing 4 years of college baseball at 1B and was fortunate to be named an NCAA D2 All American during my time. Got into coaching out of college and lost in the state championship my last year as a high school head coach. Now I'm a dad and wouldn't change it for the world. I scratch my competitive itch by tournament walleye fishing.

Duck Wrangler

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Catcher and 1st base in baseball. Was far more proficient at 1st and hit way better at that position.

Played center, defensive tackle, and long snapper in football. I went to a single-A high school, so a bunch of us played both sides of the ball. Tough on those hot September nights in the South.

Only played as far as high school and Babe Ruth league. Too small for college football, really, and found the notion of a 60 game college baseball season unappealing....
I know the feeling; played for Central-Lunenburg(probably before your time). Football was the primary sport(OT/DT) both ways along with special teams will wear you out on a Sept night! Played jv baseball then switched to track(shot/discus)

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Backstroke and distance freestyle

Rangerbob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
High school football: guard & linebacker, all district LB
Jr college: started both ways at tackle
Rugby: played for 20yr., started at #8 for most off my career then moved to prop as I got older and slower. Finally quit at 42yrs

WHUP ! Hen

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From little league, pony league, HS, Legion, College and the Army the only position I ever played was catcher. During college I had 4 scouts looking and talking to me, but Vietnam was hot and I was going to be drafted.
In high school basketball I was a 4 year starter at point guard. When the kids were playing baseball and softball I coached them for 12 years.

WHUP ! Hen

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In High School, I wrestled (126 wt class ) 2 years. Ran track ( mile, and triple jump), and swam and played water polo ( played point, or forward 3 years.

I was a pretty decent athlete,...... but was also a big stoner............. My attitude kept me from playing HS football, or baseball.

From little league, pony league, HS, Legion, College and the Army the only position I ever played was catcher. During college I had 4 scouts looking and talking to me, but Vietnam was hot and I was going to be drafted.
In high school basketball I was a 4 year starter at point guard. When the kids were playing baseball and softball I coached them for 12 years.

Vahunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling; played for Central-Lunenburg(probably before your time). Football was the primary sport(OT/DT) both ways along with special teams will wear you out on a Sept night! Played jv baseball then switched to track(shot/discus)
Are you kidding me? I played for Amelia 76, 77, and 78. I remember all three times we played you while I was on the varsity team.

So, you knew Chippie Chappel? That name is still a dirty word in Amelia.

Small world.

Duck Wrangler

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? I played for Amelia 76, 77, and 78. I remember all three times we played you while I was on the varsity team.

So, you knew Chippie Chappel? That name is still a dirty word in Amelia.

Small world.
Yea, I played varsity in 86,87&88 which were during our prime years. Yes, I know Chippie pretty well; his son Sidney was the ball boy when I played
Indeed small world!

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Played every position on the diamond growing up and into college. Played basketball til 8th grade then wanted to focus on hunting in the winter so I quit basketball. Played soccer in sixth and seventh grade until I heard the term “field fairy.” So I had to give that up too. Started playing fast pitch softball my sophomore year of college in the summer. Caught for a team that won a few state championships and two national titles. Then started umpiring college ball as a way to stay a part of the game as I got older and stopped playing