What shotgun has killed the most waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Out of focus, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

Exactly my point! Winchester made a lot of Model 12's. Browning made a lot of A5's. And they all still work. The reason was that they were both very expensive for their day and their owners took care of them. They were handed down from father to son to grandson. And lovingly maintained. And still used today. I have two A5's and a M12 in my gun safe right now. The A5's went hunting this year already and will go again. I will hunt the M12 next season now that I have had the full choke opened up to modified.

I wonder what the percentage of 870 Express guns from the 90's are still even operational. Not saying that it is a bad gun. Saying it is a cheap gun that people with little to no gun savvy bought and didn't take care of. There are a lot of people with gun savvy that have it as well(not to mention it is a predominate law enforcement choice), just stating a fact about it being a cheap gun.

I am amazed by the number of people nowadays that don't care for their firearms properly. People that seem proud they don't clean their gun for the entire season. People who are proud of how rusty and beat up their gun is. I have seen people who buy expensive guns and don't maintain them.

The M12 and A5 were guns that were favored by duck hunters, much like the SBE is favored today. I have no doubt that if the SBE had been invented in 1912 and used with extended mag tubes and no magazine plugs, the duck would be extinct today and we would only see them in museums. But that was not the case.

If the cheap 870 Express been around in 1915, I am sure it would have slain untold numbers of ducks. A cheap,throwaway gun available to the masses might have driven waterfowl to extinction. But it was not there. Luckily for us today.

2. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Be careful SS, I was called "stupid" for cleaning my gun after using it. There were/are guys here that actually brag about not cleaning their guns! ;)

3. Steelshot Scott

I know. I have seen them brag about it.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  4. Diesel0889

Diesel0889 Refuge Member

I'd say auto 5 or model 12... growing up on a farm and hunting with alot of older folk, that's what I saw most of in the blind as a kid..

My A5, bps, silver etc. To damn expensive not to take care of. I dont want my daughter holding a rusty pos. She cleans her gun after the hunt or she does not go lol... she chooses to clean it everytime... That's my girl. My OCD with guns, decoys etc. Wont allow me to not maintain. Every now and again it will go 2 hunts if only shot a few shells. Life gets in the way sometimes, but to neglect ANY gun cheap or high end is silly to me... I dont have the cash for multiple guns when I feel like buying. Other than the dura touch my a5 will shoot for a long time. Mine is a 2016 model and the duratouch is still as new. 35-50 days in a layout or duck blind so far and lots of skeet, little pheasant. I do like a gun that can take a beating but I dont try to beat it myself. The weather it endures is enough for me... when I say rusty pos I dont mean an old gun with added character from the million hunts it's been on... I'm def ok with that! happy hunting!

5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

"A clean gun is a happy gun!" :l :tu

6. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

For all the folk who bought an 870 express, thinking it was the toughest and best pump gun made, they should’ve bought a late model 12 with rib. They prolly never owned a BPS either.

7. Steelshot Scott

I couldn't agree more.

8. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Aside from older M12s, 31s, and 520s....
    Since I’ve had all of those, and then some, my favorite of the later pump guns is the Winchester 1300. Contrary to common myths, it might be the fastest, most reliable over the 870 or BPS.....sure, it used alloy where those used steel, but it never hurt it. The mossberg 500 might be there with it, but for pure butt ugly and clanky. Until the M1014 came along, there were tons of Vietnam era 1200s in arms rooms all over the Army, that were beat to heck, but worked 100% of the time. I love BPSs. The ******* 1300 just out-kicks its coverage.

9. Steelshot Scott

I agree about the Winchester 1300, I actually mentioned it earlier in this thread. It is the fastest, most reliable pump I have ever used. I traded a 870 Express for one at a gun show and everyone there acted like I was a idiot to trade a 870 for a 1300 Winchester but I have never regretted the trade and I still own the gun.

10. cranemanlbs

cranemanlbs Senior Refuge Member