What shotgun has killed the most waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Out of focus, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

The model 12 pump was more popular around here than the 870, years ago. When most folks got out of a pump gun they went to an Auto 5 or 1100. Just a toss up tween the 2 around here.

2. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

I know that the correct name is the Auto 5, but people have called it the A5 for short since 1905. Wasn't until this new travesty they are calling the A5 that it became confusing.

It is like 45 Long Colt. I know that the correct name is the 45 Colt, but there was a reason that people referred to it as the 45 Long Colt. At one time the 45 Schofield was as popular as the 45 Colt and lots of old timers wanted to differentiate between the 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, and the 45 ACP(Automatic Colt Pistol) at a time when a lot of gunsmiths made ammo as well as selling and repairing guns.. The 45 Colt was longer than the Schofield. It was a way to make sure that you were buying the right ammo. If you got home with 45 Colt for your Schofield you were out of luck.

My grandfather referred to it as Long Colt because of this. He kept one underneath the counter in his little country store. It rubbed off on me. If someone "corrects" me, I just ask them,"Why, you don't know what kind of ammo I am talking about?"

3. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I would have liked to have seen that area back in the 1800's when it was mostly Bayou and Swamp, would have been really interesting compared to what's there today.

4. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

I'm gonna say Auto 5 on this mostly notional-opinion post. In the Auto5 era, there wasn't much competition-- if you were shooting a semi-auto at ducks, it was an auto-5. In the 870 era, there was tons and tons of competition--yes they sold a lot of them, but by then if you were shooting a pump at ducks, it could be a Mod12 or 870 or BPS or Mod37 or Win... there were tons of options available. Plus all the semis. So my guess is that the lack of competition at the time combined with high numbers of ducks, auto 5.

It's kind of like "what gun killed the most buffalo"... just because some gun sold a zillion from 1950 on, doesn't mean it killed more buffalo than old Winchesters. You see the analogy pertinence.

dog duck gun likes this.
  5. Sunklands

IMO the Ithaca 37 was a much more refined design and handled better, than the 870.

cold beer and mudhen like this.
  6. Mrs.10GAGENUT

True I liked the model 37 myself. Difference is pricing Remington's back then were built well and priced to sell, my first 870 I bought was $179 NIB, it was a kind of rare BDL model which at the time I really didn't know the difference, just that it had real nice wood and the white line spacers, etc. As I remember which is getting a bit harder as I get older you couldn't get an Ithaca 37 for under $200 back then.
    Other thing is availability, every store that sold guns back then sold 870's so they were easy to come buy.

7. Sunklands

Down here we had a Ithaca dealer in every small town. Most Western Auto’s carried them and the larger Otasco’s. They were probably the number 1 selling shotgun in the 70’s, around here. Now you seldom see them.

8. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

The A5 was around for about 7 years more than the Model 12, but the Model 12 was much cheaper and sold a lot more guns during the heyday of duck hunting. The Model 12 discontinued in 1963 and the A5 was still for sale, but I would wager that more ducks were killed between 1915 and 1950 than in all the years since. During that time, the Model 12 was king.

9. Sunklands

Prolly individual average was much higher, even if numbers of hunters was lower.

10. Mrs.10GAGENUT

In the United States maybe, from what I've read Fabrique National's deal with John M also included selling the Auto 5 in Europe. The European guns were just marked Fabrique National and had no Browning markings on them, how many were sold in Europe and maybe even the rest of the world??
    Almodux might have an idea.