What shotgun has killed the most waterfowl?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Out of focus, Jul 27, 2019.

1. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

All of that is the common justification used by 1100 shooters back in the day, but they were just the excuses for not springing for an Auto 5. All are pure BS. The positives for the 1100 over the auto 5 were in clays and sub gauges, not in a duck blind. Generally, seeing those old fallacy arguments reminds me of the continued ignorance/animus about the Auto 5. Harping on ease/need for cleaning of an 1100 vs an A5 is laughable, especially if you understand the designs/maintenance requirements of both. If you’re consciously seeing the ‘hump back’ when shooting, you should probably use some electronic dot sight with flying lead measurements in the reticle. If it’s so ‘outdated’, Cosmi and Franchi wouldn’t be still producing long recoil, and the M2 .50 wouldn’t have lasted a hundred years.

dog duck gun likes this.
  2. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Although I never shot an A5 a good friend I waterfowl hunted and deer hunted used one. I always thought the hump design appeared to help get a quick sight plane. Back in the day we used to do some deer drives and he constantly said how easy it was for him to get on a moving deer with that gun as well as on anything flying.

3. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

I am not disparaging the 1100, in fact I am a big fan. I have never owned one, but my brother got one and I really liked it. It was soft-shooting and reliable, not to mention a very attractive firearm. As long as you kept a few spare o-rings on you for emergencies, it is hard to beat. But to this day I have only seen a few 1100's in the duck blind.

What I am saying is that the 1100 was introduced too late to have a serious impact on total waterfowl harvest numbers. For every one in a duck blind, there were 10 hunting doves,quail,rabbits,squirrels, and busting clays. It was a very popular gun, but not a very popular duck hunting gun in relation to other models.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

My cousin John was a really great guy. A true sportsman and outstanding human being, the most universally liked person I have ever known. He had a number of A5's, all for different purposes(this was back in the day of fixed chokes). But he had a 16 ga A5 that had a unique sound when fired. The barrel would ring like a bell when fired. It's distinctive BRINNNNG sound could never be mistaken for any other gun.

He was killed when he was only 22 years old in a car accident. I think about him all the time.

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Some do that, usually a worn action and or recoil spring.

6. Mrs.10GAGENUT

Mrs.10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I have five 1100's and all of them shot real well and never missed a beat.
    As for which gun killed the most ducks, like I stated a few posts back a difficult if not impossible question to answer.
    All I know is I hope the gun I'm using at the time kills ducks for me, and everybody else I hope feels the same way.

duckbuster2 likes this.
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Probably the same one that has killed the most people, the M12.

8. Mallardmisser

Mallardmisser Elite Refuge Member

I didn't read all the posts, but I'm going with..

Trevor Shannahan's Benelli.. according to him...

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

LOL....the M12 might be dead last in that category. The ‘97, Rem 11, A5, M1200, mossbergs, and 870 were ALL in the same mud.....likely in larger numbers.

10. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

Naw, man lots of action in wars, I read an article that said they were still used by some in Dessert Storm.
    Now that's saying something, they are the 1911's of the pump shotguns.