What the Futch

Downeastwoodduck

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Fellas,

Drew my first ever public land tag for Futch on 10/29. This will be my first ever public land experience after two seasons of hunting. To get this out of the way, I am used to shooting a few woodducks, so my expectations are where they should be for early season in NC I would think. I’m pumped to do it just for the experience and to be able to hunt new ground.

Anyway, do any of y’all have any tips on logistics? We drew for JMF-3. Can I walk around and the dikes and the access the blinds by walking from the dike to the blind? Also what time do the gates open? I looked up and down online but I can’t find anything. Any other non scouting related tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance yall

Clark

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes you can walk on the dikes. See Pg 16 of the permit brochure for the bridge locations, there are ditches along the dikes and within the ponds.
Can't leave the parking area before 4 am, stop shooting by 1, out by 3.
Check out the NCWRC web site and the permit hunt brochure.

Downeastwoodduck

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes you can walk on the dikes. See Pg 16 of the permit brochure for the bridge locations, there are ditches along the dikes and within the ponds.
Can't leave the parking area before 4 am, stop shooting by 1, out by 3.
Check out the NCWRC web site and the permit hunt brochure.
Thanks Clark!

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like Clark said there is a map showing all the dikes and access points into the impoundments. Keep in mind there are ditches in the impoundments too and the blinds I have hunted were floating over those ditches. There will be a bridge on one side of the blind to cross the ditch you just have to look for the poles marking each end of it. Learned that the hard way once!

coachcornbread

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Keep a lookout for snakes and gators that early in the season. I’ve never hunted it that early in the year but if I had to guess you will see woodies at shooting time then teal and maybe some gadwall. Good luck!

KAHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Before they decided to ruin october season on the coast by cutting it in half and moving it back (we really needed to split the state - the 2 day difference between coast and inland is critical for hunting in NC!! :scratch :scratch) , we used to hunt there almost every year during october season and did pretty well. It was usually just teal and woodies that early, but with this being later I bet you could kill almost anything. Scout and get there early to get to your blind. Good luck.

NCBADGES

North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator
Reaction score
Gators???

NCB

Latest posts