What the Futch

KAHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I still apply because I have a DIL that has never hunted the lake, and I'd like her to see it despite the hunting or lack thereof. Also have a grandson that will be ready for a youth hunt in a year or two!
Are they killing any birds on the draw blinds at lake matt? Last time I was there we had a great hunt (5 or 6 years ago). Have not hunted it since and have not heard much.

How about futch? I know they are killing a few there still I wonder but hows it been the last few years.

tripper

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I hunted Fulch was many years ago. Got there early, set up down near the ponds. Shooting time came and there was about a million, it seemed like, wood ducks came out of the swamp behind us where they had roosted. I was shooting an over/under. Two pulls of the trigger and I was limited out on wood ducks in about a minute after legal shooting time. Stayed about another hour but didn't see any ducks other than the woodies. Picked up and left. It was a good trip, don't know if there are any ducks there now, but used to be pretty good hunting. Shot a swan there one year, looked like a 747 crashing into the ice.:l

KAHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
We used to kill a good number of teal, ringnecks, woodies with gadwall, widgeon. pintail and mallards mixed in. That was in the times before they even had zones. You hunted it atleats twice a year. Once in October, once in regular season. I miss hunting there

EastBound&Down

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Used to be some of the best hunting offered by the state when that place first opened and numerous years after. Started to go downhill when the farmers started cutting 99% of the crops out of the fields, mismanaged water levels, and then the nail in the coffin was the permanent blinds that were put in. The last time I hunted there the waters levels were above waste deep in the fields and it seemed the place was being managed for buffleheads and mergs instead of puddle ducks. Don't even bother to apply for it anymore and its sad on how such a once good spot has been run down so bad. 15 years ago that place used to produce lots of widgeon, gadwall, ringer, teal, and you could walk across the backs of the swans.

Bluedog

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It seems that NC has a way of killing good spots in a variety of ways once they are opened up. The impoundments at Butner were really good for a few years and suck now. I am too old to try and figure out all the ways we screw ourselves ‍♂️

PrairieDream'n

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It seems that NC has a way of killing good spots in a variety of ways once they are opened up. The impoundments at Butner were really good for a few years and suck now. I am too old to try and figure out all the ways we screw ourselves ‍♂️

Yep.. It has occurred to me that I have finally become one of the old guys shaking my fist about how good it used to be.. stay off my lawn! :l

coachcornbread

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ve had some good hunts at Futch when they went to the blind system, and I’ve had some bad hunts at futch since they went to the blind system. Lately it seems to never fail when good birds are working the impoundment that someone feels the need to water swat coots.

As far as skeet goes, I went 0-10 when I used to apply for it, but at the same time I have always got a stand by blind when I went. Typically I’m by myself so I would just chat it up with a few people that are there to draw standbys and hop on with them or they hop on with me. Met some really good people doing that. Seems here lately, especially during the week, that half the blinds are open due to no shows. While the lake does suck, if it’s blowing a good wind I’ve had good success there when I couldn’t make it out on the sound.

Reactions: JFG

KAHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree. It seems like opportunity and ease of hunt is concentrated on way more than quality of hunt. Like I said in an earlier post, I went to the meeting about implementing blinds in Futch. I was the only person against them. I made my case but most people wanted a place to go, to a blind they know is theirs without having to put in the effort of getting up early and get to there spot. It was literally asked by the people putting on the meeting do you care about a good hunt or an easy place to go and pretty much everyone but me wanted an easy place to go.

coachcornbread

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on those early season dates (October) that you don't have to hunt from the blinds unless you just want to. I know the late season hunts you do, but I dont think you have to in early season.

burgawboy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on those early season dates (October) that you don't have to hunt from the blinds unless you just want to. I know the late season hunts you do, but I dont think you have to in early season.
I’m not sure about that but it would make sense. Last year it was pretty much a roost hole. The big ducks that did fly over knew where the blinds were and would fly completely around them.